• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Building Budget Gaming Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flappyd

Hey. I'm building a new computer for gaming i have a budget of about $700 AUD
I mainly play fps games and have been waiting for battlefield bad company 2 so i'd like to play that with decent frame rates.
also i was thinking of going for an AMD Build but it isn't necessary
Thanks in advance

WayOut

You'll need an AMD for the budget you're on. Lemme give you a setup.. 700 AUD is how much US?
650, according to currency calculator.

Umm, I'll work on something later. 650 bucks is a very, very tight budget.

Last edited:
OP
F

Flappyd

yeah i am slowly getting more and more money i just dont have a job atm ill do a bigger upgrade when i get one i just need something to last me for now

OP
F

Flappyd

i was thinking this might be alright
AMD Phenom II 550 $106
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P $106.50
GSkill 4GB (2GB x 2) DDR3 $125
Sapphire HD4770 512MB $119
Samsung 500G SATA II 7200rpm $67
Antec Two Hundred Versatile Gaming Case $65
Gigabyte Superb Power Supply 550W (not sure?) $62
Aopen DRW-2412ST SATA 24XDVDRW $33
Total $683.50

jgv115

Which part of Australia are you from? Are you getting the parts from MSY?

That is quite a good budget setup I would go with another PSU though, if you're buying from MSY then get the Seasonic PSR550+ it should do well enough.

jgv115

Which shop are you getting it from? It would help if you gave us names so we can have a look at their parts list.

OP
F

Flappyd

I'm not sure i got the prices from http://www.umart.com.au/ even though they dont have a store in nsw but they could send it
there isnt much good stores round where i live (wollongong) but i could go up to sydney i just dont know any stores there

tinymouse2

I would wait until you have a bit more money. Try 1000 CNDs before going for anything.
With 700 bucks you will only just be able to play MW2 on medium graphics at 30fps...
You'll have a dual core at about 2.4GHz or so, a 9800GT or something similar and 2 or 4 gigs of RAM. Up it to 1000 and you start to have a dual at 2.9GHz or a quad at 2.4GHz with a GTX 250 with 4 gigs of RAM. Up it again to 1300 or so and you can get a quad at about 3GHz with a GTX 260 or ATI equivelant.

This is in the UK but I can't believe it's "that" different in Canada.

jgv115

Well okay, I'm looking at the Melbourne Umart page and I see the 550VX which will suit you perfectly.

Corsair VX-550 ATX Power Supply 120mm fan PCI-E Graphics Card Connector 6 SATA Connectors Universal 106 dollars.

Definitely get that one even if it's a little more expensive.