• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help building WC for my new system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superhighme

Hey guys!
After a bit of thinking I decided that i will give water cooling a try with my new system i will be building.
Anyone cool enough to give a hand and tell me what i would need and recommendations on parts. Price in not an issue at this point.

Here are the parts that I will need to cool:
Intel i7 965 Extreme - Will probably OC to 3.7-4.0ghz.
evga x58 classified mobo - Dunno if i will really need a nb/sb/mosfet cooler for WC system?
2x 295GTX - Will probably OC them also.
The case if my buddys old Omen-R case from Voodoo which he doesn't use anymore so i'm going to take it off his hands... Free stuff is the best! haha!
Oh and i didn't get the case yet hes sending it to me by post cause he moved and lives far away now i should get it this weeked. Heres pics of the case from another forum. How many rads do you guys think i could fit in there?
http://www.thenextbench.com/hpg/board/message?board.id=Desktops&message.id=5569&jump=true#M5569

Could anyone link me good recommended parts that i will need for the system? Including if you know any good fittings and stuff.
I'm really confused about sizes like 1/4 and stuff so i have no idea what size will fit the other ect ect ect haha :bang head

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Start off by reading the posts sticky section.

G1/4 threading is just the general "input" thread on the vast majority of water cooling components; it's where your barbs screw in.

fusion509

other things to think about is how much are you wiling to spend? and are you really wanting to cool your chipsets?

OP
S

superhighme

Yeah i guess, if it's not needed then no problem... i can get it.
anywhere up till 1 grand for WC with all the blocks for vgas and cpu's.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
What type of PSU are you looking at? For $1k you might be able to pull out a water-cooled pelletier. They like their wattage though and it's not the most efficient cooling there is. If you went with one, you could probably run a bit more than 4GHz 24/7 if you were so inclined.

dealmaster

What type of PSU are you looking at? For $1k you might be able to pull out a water-cooled pelletier. They like their wattage though and it's not the most efficient cooling there is. If you went with one, you could probably run a bit more than 4GHz 24/7 if you were so inclined.

Don't use a TEC with a highly overclocked i7. None of them can deal with the heat dump from those CPUs (one running at 4GHz with plenty of volts easily dumps 225-250w). Stick with standard watercooling, TECs are going the way of the dinosaur.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Don't use a TEC with a highly overclocked i7. None of them can deal with the heat dump from those CPUs (one running at 4GHz with plenty of volts easily dumps 225-250w). Stick with standard watercooling, TECs are going the way of the dinosaur.
Fair enough; comment withdrawn. I was just trying to think of a way we could spend $1k for him and a custom-built TEC could have fit the bill. :beer:

shazza

Registered
I don't think spending close to $1K will be difficult if you do the GPUs. Waterblocks alone will be more than $300, + another $70 or so for the CPU.

Ideally, I'd suggest 2 triple radiators (Swiftech MCR 320s, or the XSPC or Feser triples if you have room). A triple and a double will also do. I like running two separate loops, but you can do one loop if that's easier. The other option is to run a quad radiator - like the Feser, if there is room in the case.

For pumps, I'd recommend the MCP355 (one or two, depending on your loop setup). They are smaller than the MCP655 (also known as the D5). I like the XSPC reservoir tops, but the EK reservoirs or Swiftech Micro-Res are also fine.

For tubing, I'd suggest either 3/8"IDx5/8"OD or 7/16"ID x 5/8" OD. 1/2"x3/4" tubing is fine, but a bit large to work with.

You can use barbs, either 3/8" or 1/2" depending on your tubing choice. You can also consider compression fittings - the Bitspower ones are nice and easy to work with. You'll also need a fitting to connect your video cards.

Just some comments to get you thinking. You'll really need to figure out what will fit in the case before you can get specific on everything.

Spawn-Inc

also i would not start off with tec, thats just asking for killed hardware.

as first recommended, you need to read the stickes and threads in here and other sites. going by the first post you should learn the basics before you even think about buying parts. it may be a paint in the arse but will pay off in the end.