• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help: cannot connect wifi internet and wifi camera at same time? windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

randomlylogical

Registered
hello good sirs and possible misses,
my computer will only allow me to connect to one at a time. the other device is a xiamo yi action camera that is trying to evolve into a wide angle web camera. i read something that made some sense about the action camera is probably on its own network and i need to try and get it my home network?

please help me!

thank you for your time!

it sounds like the problem i am having is both trivial and more importantly fixable. are you able to provide me with more help?
windows 7 told me the ROSEWILL RNWD-N9003PCE drivers are up to date. what other drivers should i check?

here is a link to the drivers for my mother board
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
could you tell me which one i may need to resolve this problem?

thank you for your time!

I'm having a little trouble envisioning what the situation and what the problem is. This is a wifi camera, correct? Does the camera show up in the list of network SIDs when you click on the connection status symbol in the notification area of the Windows task bar? Does the camera itself have an LCD control panel that allows you to connect it to a network like you would do with a wifi capable printer?

Make sure your network's wifi settings are compatible with both the computer and the camera. For instance, check the security/encryption protocols and the wifi standard that your router is using. Make sure they are compatible with what the camera can use. For instance, if your router is set to broadcast a wireless N only signal and your camera only goes to wireless G then the camera can't connect. In that case you would want to change the router firmware setting to be mixed N and G.

Not sure what your level of tech skills is so this may not make any sense to you at all.

Last edited:
it appears most people have a similar issue with these cameras but i was hoping because i was able to get it to stream to my computer i then was just the enabling my internet away from accomplishing what i wanted.

here is a screenshot that may helps bridge gaps in our understandings; it is a me issue.

RMUI2m.jpg

i will keep looking into this. thank you for your effort. i shared a screen with a skype friend and they were not able to make any progress either. i can only connect to one wifi source at a time. i am going to look into if people have gotten the hdmi port to work as web camera.

But what I don't understand about what you have presented is, what do you mean when you say you have more than one wifi source? What are the sources? I mean it seems to me you have a wifi router (one source) to which you can connect multiple wifi devices such as printers, speakers and cameras. What am I missing?

correct one source is the wifi router and the other i am trying to connect is the xiamoi yi action camera. the way you type that i guess it would be nice to connect the router and other sources under the same network? so that they can all be used by my one alloted wifi connection? many people have this problem and i imgaine many are more informed then i.

here is a video i followed to get the webcam to stream on my computer but the goal was to use this as a wide angle shot when streaming various activities.

What I don't understand is how the camera can be a wifi "source." To my way of thinking it is not a source but just another wifi device on the network that should stream content over the network through the router (which is the network "access point") to the computer. The camera should show up as a member of the network along with any computers, printers and storage devices that also use the network. As far as I know, a computer cannot connect to more than one network at time so both the computer and the camera can only talk with each other if they are on the same network.

well i will defer to your knowledge and allow this to make sense with both of our experiences; i assume the camera has its own unique network then. this is why when i connect to it it forces me off the other wifi network. i am sorry for the confusion by loosely using terms i did not know there specific meaning within this context we are speaking. i should have been more careful with my diction.

I believe the problem might be that the WiFi camera is a device that the PC connects to directly via WiFi, and not the camera connect to the WiFi network. Hence, why the OP may not be able to connect to both the camera and the network at the same time.

There needs to be a way for the camera to connect to the WiFi network and make itself available that way.

I believe the problem might be that the WiFi camera is a device that the PC connects to directly via WiFi, and not the camera connect to the WiFi network. Hence, why the OP may not be able to connect to both the camera and the network at the same time.

There needs to be a way for the camera to connect to the WiFi network and make itself available that way.

So it's like a wireless keyboard or mouse in the sense of connecting directly to the PC. Then the question that needs to be answered is, is the camera by design a network aware device? Is the problem that it was not made to do that or rather is the problem that the camera is not functioning properly because of hardware or software issues?

Last edited:
Essentially then, the camera is acting like network access point which would make it "the source" to use your terminology. Does it show up in the list of available networks on your computer?

yes it does.
i should have explained; in the image i posted on post 5, the wifi network i am hoovering over which is producing the information, is for the camera.

It sounds like your camera was designed to be some kind of in-house network surveillance device.

no, i have not. when my friend and i were trying to troubleshooting over skype that is one of the ideas i shared with him. at this point though, if i had to put any money into this idea i would rather just buy a web camera rather then trying to make these other items work. i already use my phone as my web camera when i stream so if the time comes i would probably justify buying an actually web camera.

thank you all for your help in explaining this to me and also trying to resolve this. at this point i will try to make a mini hdmi to hdmi, male to male connection work and if that does not i will abandon this idea.

Back