• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help - Can't fix Multiplier - E7500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simsandwhich

I recently decided to juice up an old computer of mine with a new C2D processor, the E7500 @ 2.93ghz. Problem is, CPU-Z reports that it's running at 1.6ghz, due to the multiplier being set at 6 rather than the (correct) 11. Buss speed is 266mhz.

Because it's a branded PC (NEC) The BIOS has (naturally) got no overclocking options at all.

My Mobo is 945GCT-NM , and no matter where I've looked I caan't find a way to fix the issue. Any help at all would be much appreciated! :D

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Have you tried updating the bios to that board? Clearing the cmos sometimes will help as well. If these don't help, then unless you swap boards, you're at the mercy of that 945GCT-NM. There are no fixes that will enable that multi.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
It's probably just Speedstep dropping the multiplier to 6x when there is no load on the CPU. Try running a program that loads the CPU and see what CPU-Z reports.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Have you tried updating the bios to that board? Clearing the cmos sometimes will help as well. If these don't help, then unless you swap boards, you're at the mercy of that 945GCT-NM. There are no fixes that will enable that multi.
+1

It's probably just Speedstep dropping the multiplier to 6x when there is no load on the CPU. Try running a program that loads the CPU and see what CPU-Z reports.
Speedstep doesnt lower the FSB though, just the multi.

Its likely the board doesnt support the FSB of that chip and downclocks it to 266 AND with speedstep enabled, its quite low. So its a little of both is my guess.

glussier

Open cpuz, then run a program like superpie, and you'll see that the multiplier will jump to 11 and the proper 2.93ghz clockspeed.

Last edited:
OP
S

simsandwhich

Open cpuz, then run a program like superpie, and you'll see that the multiplier will jump to 11 and the proper 2.93ghz clockspeed.

Tried HyperPi (the latest version) and it still doesn't make a change in anything other than work load. It's stuck on the damn 1.6ghz speed (which is significantly slower than the old CPU :temper: )

Thanks for all your help so far guys :)

Last edited:

jaymz9350

Tried HyperPi (the latest version) and it still doesn't make a change in anything other than work load. It's stuck on the damn 1.6ghz speed (which is significantly slower than it used to be :temper: )

Thanks for all your help so far guys :)

What is your widows power setting at? I'm pretty sure if it's set to power saver it will stay at the lowest multi all the time. Balanced will set it low at idle and full under load and performance will leave it at 11 all the time.

OP
S

simsandwhich

What is your widows power setting at? I'm pretty sure if it's set to power saver it will stay at the lowest multi all the time. Balanced will set it low at idle and full under load and performance will leave it at 11 all the time.
It's set for max performance (as opposed to power saver). Also disabled Intel SpeedStep, abd scoured the BIOS, but nothing so far seems to be able to change the multiplier from 6 to the correct 11 :shrug: