• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Choosing a Cable...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

Need a new SATA II cable to connect an internal hard drive to an ASUS P5NSLI LGA 775 motherboard. Which one should I buy from NewEgg? Thanks

Bobnova

They're all the same performance, being digital the signal either gets there and works, or does not get there and doesn't work at all.

The ones with metal clips are cool, some of 'em come in pretty colors which is nice.

OP
1Time

1Time

OK. So one SATA II cable is the same as any other except for the ones that have the metal clips to help them stay on more reliably.

I just didn't want to buy the wrong kind. Thanks again.

nd4spdbh2

OK. So one SATA II cable is the same as any other except for the ones that have the metal clips to help them stay on more reliably.

I just didn't want to buy the wrong kind. Thanks again.

ya sata cables are synonymous.

But i hate the cables with the metal clips.... i pulled the plastic socket off one of my sata ports on my P5W DH not long ago without even realizing it... till i went to plug in another drive about a week later and went... UMM WTF? i found the cable that i had used prior and sure nuf a lil orange plastic socket.... i was able to weave all the pins back through and snap it back into place thank god haha.

OP
1Time

1Time

I have to take it easy with the metal clip ones.

Now I'm trying to find out if I need a special power cable for this SATA2 hard drive, and whether I should get an SATA2 cable that incorporates a power cable. I will hold off on choosing until I can take a closer look at the existing cable and hard drive.

Theocnoob

ya sata cables are synonymous.

But i hate the cables with the metal clips.... i pulled the plastic socket off one of my sata ports on my P5W DH not long ago without even realizing it... till i went to plug in another drive about a week later and went... UMM WTF? i found the cable that i had used prior and sure nuf a lil orange plastic socket.... i was able to weave all the pins back through and snap it back into place thank god haha.

I think you mean universal/identical. Synomymous would imply that they were actually synonymous with something else.

I haven't grammar-douched anybody for a long time but I figured what the heck.
:clap:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I think he is saying all sata cables are the same (synonym means the same)... which is accurate.

Anyway, not sure about the internal external differences, but get an internal in case.

Bobnova

External sata cables have more shielding, and possibly different connectors.