• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Choosing a new CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arctic

Hi just a quick question... hopefully you guys can help me I've been away from this thread for a while...I'm in the process of building a new PC....I got everything so far but the CPU... I'm planning to run this MSI P4N Diamond.
I'm looking to get a chip from 3.0 to 3.4Ghz LGA775.. my question is which one should I get.. the 540J or 550J or 640 or 650. From what I heard the 5xx J has 64bit support or somehting like that....My next question is if I get the D 830, will it be faster than a 540 or 640.. since its a dual processor...I do alot of photoshop and video editing and ofcourse some gaming as well..wouldnt wanna waste that X800GTO2 on just video editing....

Hope you guys can help me out

Thx in Advance

batboy

Senior Moment
Does the Nforce 4 chipset supprt dual cores? Maybe you better find out before going much farther. The dual core would be great for encoding and running multi-thread apps, but for gaming it won't have much advantage... yet.

The 540J and 550J are not 64-bit. You need to get the 541 or 551 series for 64-bit. But, don't bother, the 6XX series is better anyway. Hard to beat the 640 for price and performance. They are great overclockers and will O/C quite a bit higher than a dual core.

infinitevalence

Last i checked there was unofficial support for dual core on the C19, I had been planing on putting together almost the same rig until i found out there was some compatiblity problems with dual core and the P4N. I would still check on this, it may have been fixed with a bios update.

The one thing i would say is that if you want good gameing, and good video/graphic editing your actualy better off with an X2 or dual core opty system. when it comes to dual core AMD just cleans house and OC's much better on air. Its also a much stronger gaming cpu. I use my X2 rig for PS10, Vegas 6, Gameing (NFS:UG2,HL2,Farcry) and it just rocks! In contrast my dual xeon spends most of its time folding and being a file server even though its a dual 2.6 with 1gb and a 6 disk 10k rpm scsi array. So if my $.02 means anything take a serious look at dual core AMD before you jump on the NF4p band wagon.

batboy

Senior Moment
Sorry, if you are comparing similar priced dual core CPUs, Intel still beats the X2 in encoding, especially when overclocked.

OP
A

Arctic

Well thx for all your help so far its not so much about wagon jumper its just I already bough the board and DDR2 ram... and so that's why i wanna go with a P4 config...I was thinking of going AMD but the DDR2 got my excited heheheh I will check more on the dual core... but say if I was able to get a Dual core 3.0.... would it be faster than a 640 3.2Ghz? or would I be better off spending the extra money going for 3.4Ghz ?

infinitevalence

if your going p4 then get the 820 for sure, its much less expensive and you can use the $$ you save to get good cooling so you can OC, like batboy said intel is better for encoding, but your going to need to get the speeds up to really see the advantage.

VinnyTAMU

Arctic said:
Well thx for all your help so far its not so much about wagon jumper its just I already bough the board and DDR2 ram... and so that's why i wanna go with a P4 config...I was thinking of going AMD but the DDR2 got my excited heheheh I will check more on the dual core... but say if I was able to get a Dual core 3.0.... would it be faster than a 640 3.2Ghz? or would I be better off spending the extra money going for 3.4Ghz ?

I really don't see a benefit to dual cores at this time. I have compared my friends 820 (non oc) to my 630 at 3.8 GHz and really didn't notice much difference in the windows environment even with multiple applications. I would suggest either a 630 or 640.

OP
A

Arctic

ok I think I've made my decision thx again for all your inputs... I will most likely end up with a 640 or 650 :santa: I love christmas season :santa: hmm what cooling would you suggest to overclock this beast on air with a 80mm delta..

Alchemy1

Most people don't use a HS that will fit an 80mm fan to cool their prescott. Most people use something that will fit a 92mm or 120mm fan. The most popular HS's seem to be the XP-90/90c, XP-120, Scyth Ninja, and there are a few others.

Killaapp

I was in the same boat as you last week. I sold my 560J to a friend and was left without a proc. I found that the 640 is the best proc out there for the price and OC ability. I am still waiting for it to show up but you can be sure I'm excited.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
VinnyTAMU said:
I really don't see a benefit to dual cores at this time. I have compared my friends 820 (non oc) to my 630 at 3.8 GHz and really didn't notice much difference in the windows environment even with multiple applications. I would suggest either a 630 or 640.

so you "compared" a 820 @ 2.8GHz to a 630 @ 3.8GHz, didn't notice much of a difference, in WINDOWS, while running multiple "applications", and now are going to suggest to the OP, who does a lot of video editing and photoshop, that a dual core will not benifit him at all?

running a couple of programs like msn, firefox, bittorent, yadda yadda yadda....will NOT show the benefit of a 820 running at 3.8ghz while encoding a few gigs of video. try a comparison like that between a 820 and 630, both overclocked, or even consider the possible outcome before dismissing dual-cores.

VinnyTAMU

hUMANbEATbOX said:
so you "compared" a 820 @ 2.8GHz to a 630 @ 3.8GHz, didn't notice much of a difference, in WINDOWS, while running multiple "applications", and now are going to suggest to the OP, who does a lot of video editing and photoshop, that a dual core will not benifit him at all?

running a couple of programs like msn, firefox, bittorent, yadda yadda yadda....will NOT show the benefit of a 820 running at 3.8ghz while encoding a few gigs of video. try a comparison like that between a 820 and 630, both overclocked, or even consider the possible outcome before dismissing dual-cores.

Well I failed to read that he would be doing a lot of video editing. You are right the dual core will have the heads up in that area. I am not against dual-cores, they are indeed the future of computing. Also I didn't realize how low the 820's had dropped! At $245 that is only $20 more than I paid for my 630 5 months ago. However I have had an awesome experience with my 630 and have been impressed with the multi-tasking ability of this chip. 640/820 either way if multi-tasking is what you want you can't go wrong.