• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing PSU for 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobmanfoo

Disabled
well i got a 6800gt and can't OC it that high, could my PSU be holding the OC back? i have an antec true330w. i was wondering what i should be looking for in a new psu for the video card. should i be looking for higher 12V+ amperage? or am i on the wrong track? i was thinking of the true550w, and is the true control model worth it? i don't have an empty 5.25" bay empty for the control panel, will it be a problem? thanks for any help, opinions, recommendations, and info

I would opt for a Fortron 530W. These have been proven to be the toughest out there, miles ahead of Antec, even though people don't like to admit it. I have yet to find one system that couldn't be powered by it.

And don't bother with the ratings on the sticker. The manufacturers put those there, and they put whatever numbers they like on there.

CircuitBreaker8 said:
You need atleast 400w+ dude, get an Antec or something

350 actually :p

And I would suggest the Antec TruePower line if you have the money. Or fortron if you are on a budget. But if you want top of the line, PC Power & Cooling.

If you ask just about anyone that's owned both, they'll tell you that Fortrons push out a lot more power than Antecs do. Too bad they're always viewed as "budget" power supplies. PSU's come a lot cheaper(and a lot worse).

thanks for the info guys, i went ahead and went with the OCZ PowerStream 420w for $90, a bit $$$ but it had awesome reviews, i haven't installed it yet, kinda lazy :D

Back