• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Choosing RAM/CPU Combo for My MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadHatter83

Registered
This is my first post, so cut a noob some slack...

I'm considering upgrading to an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. It's on the "verified" list from ASUS, but I don't know if it's the best one I can get as a replacement (from what I've read, it may only run on 3 cores when not using 6, in which case maybe a quad-core would be a better choice).

I'm also wanting to upgrade the RAM and would like to run 4x2GB DDR2 @ 1066 MHz. ASUS QVL shows G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK and Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D as compatible with the MB.

First question: Is G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B identical on the inside to the one on the "verified" list with the only difference in the heat sink design; is this model also going to be compatible?

Second question: Will I be able to stably run either of these at 1066 MHz with the AMD 1100T?

Alternate question: If I'm way off track, what is the optimal RAM and CPU for my system (can I stick an AM3+ chip in or can I get DDR2 1333 and downclock for better speed/performance)?

Sorry...I'm clueless...haven't kept up with parts since I built this thing a few years ago. :confused:

P.S. - How do I make this an auto-signature?:
---------------------------------------------------------
MOBO > ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe, BIOS v.0302
CPU & Cooler > AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black 140W
MEMORY > OCZ, OCZ2RPR10664GK, 2GBx2
POWER SUPPLY > CoolMax CUQ-1350B
VIDEO CARD > ASUS EAH3650 SILENT MAGIC/HTDP/512M
HDDs/Optical drives > WD Velociraptor 80, Seagate 9EU142-310, No Raid
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Usb Devices Plugged to Mobo?
O/S > Windows 7 Home Premium
Case > CoolerMaster Storm Scout

ok. should work with both the cpu and ram.

you won't be able to stick an am3+ cpu into that mb... and i wouldn't suggest trying ddr2 1333 ram.

Your upgrade path would probably be to a Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 or a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 mb... which you could use your phenomII x6 1100T with... and then step up to ddr3 ram. eventually down the road getting a new steamroller fx chip or something.

Unless you want to find an 1100T used, I would suggest a new motherboard.

That's the best processor for the board, and if you don't want it cutting down cores while it isn't loaded up, cut that off in the BIOS.

If I set it to run on 6, is there anything that will actually use them all? I think lots of things now utilize 4, so from what I've read HERE, the 970 kept up and did better than the 1100T in some cases. I just assumed the 980 would outclass the 1100T in all practical purposes except for the rare application or process.

Since the only area on the review in this link where the 1100T smoked the 970 was the Handbrake test, and the 965/970/975/980 can be found for about 1/3(I think) the price of a 1100T, I thought it was worth considering.

I also considered the 965 in the 140W version since I was curious about the potential higher voltage settings maybe outclassing a 970, but I haven't found any data or reviews on that specific question.

Last edited:
It would be worth it for the right price, but if you can find an 1100T at a deal it'll be faster in real use.

What tests don't show is multitasking. When you've got a ton of stuff running at once, its nice to have the extra threads.

So, windows 7 would be able to assign a couple cores to one task, one to another, and the last two cores to a third task?

How significantly/efficiently will it do that? Do you know a better "realistic" comparison of speeds when multitasking?

Say you have three programs that utilize two cores each. On the 6 core, they each will be assigned to their own pair of cores.

A "realistic" comparison would be to go use a dual core machine, and try to really multitask on it, then do the same on a quad core of the same architecture. It'll be that same "availability of power"

Funny you mention that. The reason I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU instead of the entire MB is I tried my dad's dual core last night and was sad for him. I thought I could sell him my used CPU at a discount and have a few bucks to throw at replacing mine. Although, I think he just wants faster internet. :/

It's definitely a huge difference between our 2 computers (although, his RAM is a step down, so is his graphics card, and so are his MB chipsets...well, they're more like falling off a cliff).

That would be great for both of you.

Also, I'm not trying to steer you away from a PII X4, but the 1100T is the fastest for a reason. A great deal on something like that 965 would be a great step up for you, and a good bit of help for your dad :thup:

Why not upgrade to a nice 4670K (Intel) and a Z87 motherboard and some nice DDR3 memory?

It'll smoke the Phenom II hex core you're considering.

Because that costs way more than picking up a used CPU.

Because that costs way more than picking up a used CPU. Exactly[and getting a few bucks for the old one from your pops while helping him out too]

I just noticed there are 2 versions of the 970. They're both rated at 3.5GHz while the 1100T is only 3.3GHz (IDK which one would overclock better, maybe identical), but one has 4 cores and the other has 6. The question now is, can my BIOS(or anything I have) unlock the 970 x6 or do I still have to get the 1100T?

Last edited:
Its not "two versions" as far as I know, its just that some of the 960T and 970T processors could unlock two more cores.

As far as your motherboard being able to, I have no idea.

According to THIS page, they are two separate versions. One is a Deneb design and the other is a locked Thuban. The very last letter of the part number is "M" for Deneb or "R" for Thuban. Only the -R version can be unlocked and only if your bios or something like that is able to.

Oops, I forgot to give you THIS link to the article earlier. Thought I had.

I completely looked past that >.<

It is a binned Thuban (thought all the 970s were, apparently not), you'll have to do some research and see if your board can unlock the extra two cores. Its hit or miss if they'll work though.

I'm assuming since your board supports Thuban, that it can unlock it too, but don't hold me to that.

Back