• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help completing my water setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joern

hi guys and girls.
i need some ideas on what to choose of pumps and reservoar for my setup.
Im running 2 independant loops each loop has one black ice stealth dual 140mm radiator. Loop one cools the Q9550 CPU and the NB on MB(foxcon blackops). Loop two cools the HD4870 GPU and the koolance 1000w PSU.

i got this setup in a Lian Li B70B case with one rad in the front and one rad in the top.
im stuck on the fact if i should use two koolance RP-1000bk pump+reservoar units.
or use two xspc bay reservoars and two free pumps. here i dont know if to use two single dcc pumps or two dual pumps. Any comments?
the koolance bay reservoar seems a bit small to me, any comments? Any comments on pump strenght/flow?

the system uses 1/2 inch ID tubing.
cooling blocks are the watercool heatkiller CPU block and the swifttek MCW60 on GPU. On the NB there is the one that originaly came with the MB.
should i connect them in serial or parallel? PSU before or after GPU in the loop?

Ideas, comments suggestions are very welcome:)

joern

J-O_S-H

If you want 2 pumps but dont want to take up a lot of room...

You could just use the XSPC Dual DDC Bay Reservoir and 2 x DDC/MCP355

The bay res house both pumps and incoporates aftermarket tops ::

ddcdualbayres.jpg

res1.jpg

OP
J

joern

both pumps take water from the same reservoir on this one right?
i want to have 2 seperate reservoirs. as i think it would be better, and also i get to have 2 different color fluids, wich will look coolin the case :)

do u think a single pump would be strong enough for wide tubing, 2 blocks and a pretty big radiator?

BobbyBubblehead

first of all:welcome:to the forums.
(first contact from moscow for me... im impressed :D)

my first thought is do you really need two pumps?

im cooling everything in my sig with one loop and still confident it will hold out when im living in Bulgaria next summer.

main difference being ive about a third more radiator.

(my last build thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=617283 )

I just run the loop
rad, CPU, NB, rad, GPU

popular opinion suggests theres nothing to be gained from splitting the rads up as apposed to banking them together.

J-O_S-H

both pumps take water from the same reservoir on this one right?
i want to have 2 seperate reservoirs. as i think it would be better, and also i get to have 2 different color fluids, wich will look coolin the case :)

do u think a single pump would be strong enough for wide tubing, 2 blocks and a pretty big radiator?

Yeah... a single pump should be fine as long as you buy a good one.

As for different colors you could just use 2 different tubing colors and feed ditilled water from the bay res.... (reccommended) ...

or you could get two MCP355 with the XSPC res top and use what you want...

xspc-ddc-res-l.jpg

Most people would tell you to avoid pre-mixed coolants... The only only one i would reccommend is Thermochill EC6.

The majority of people use distilled/deionised water with a biocide or silver coil.

EDIT ... LOL... I took to long again... beaten to it due to poor typing and distractions

jr1

First off welcome to the forums :welcome:

I donn't know how experient you are with watercooling so i'm gone give you a link or two that is very useful here is one that contains tons of info http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide
here is another one that is a very good guide http://overclockerstech.com/index.p...s&catid=40:overclocking-and-cooling&Itemid=88
Personally i wish i had them both when i first started watercooling
I'm not putting those links up to you to turn you off or anything like that ,
more the oposite and it's definately worth the time reading it and in the end it will be a huge benefit to you
Ultimately in the end what the guys here wants is for you to have a good and also educated experience with watercooling

Others vill chime in on your questions with avices and comments
good luck and remember to have fun with it too ;)

BobbyBubblehead

@ J-O_S-H
yep I too like to stay up till 5GMT and answer questions about water cooling :shrug:
you can lead if you like... i`ll just type +1 now and then :thup:

J-O_S-H

@ J-O_S-H
yep I too like to stay up till 5GMT and answer questions about water cooling :shrug:
you can lead if you like... i`ll just type +1 now and then :thup:

Lol... I just kinda switch back and forth between whatever I'm watching and a few forums etc.

I would like to go to sleep... but I just can't seem to manage it... watercooling is easier than going to sleep early XD

OP
J

joern

:) thx for the welcomes.
this is my second build. a bit more serius one the first one.
thx for the links:) enjoyed reading them.

one of my arguments to keep to seperate systems is that i think my water cooled PSU will generate alot of heat.

in my first build i had a dual 120mm rad cooling my CPU and NB and i got some pretty good temps from that setup on my cpu. 25C idle and 34C full load. same cpu as i have now. rad was a black ice xtreme and i had the thermaltake pump and reservoir. wich for my sake worked pretty well. ive read many reveiws and threads saying they wornt any good but it worked well for me for a 1,5y.

any way even if u put the rad after the cpu and nb and then to psu and gpu i think the heat tranfer wouldnt be as great as if i had to seperate systems.
there is an x factor there that u can escape by seperating the 2 systems i belive.

has anyone tried the koolance bay pump and reservoir combo. it looks pretty sweet to me. just a little worried about the small size of the reservoir it self.

Racerblade

Registered
i got the XSPC Dual DDC Bay Reservoir with split chambers becours they dident get any more of the one in the picture

Spawn-Inc

Here is a link to the res Racerblade was talking about

LINK

has anyone tried the koolance bay pump and reservoir combo. it looks pretty sweet to me. just a little worried about the small size of the reservoir it self.

the high end models they have use good pumps, but it still uses the stock top so you don't get the performance boost like you would with an aftermarket top.

also the size of the res make no difference on temps once you hit equilibrium.