• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP--- Computer not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soren

All right, so I set my rig up. With the simple bits as to be able to change things around

So I put in my---
Abit KR7-A --Motherboard
AMD Athlon 1000(266fsb) --CPU
My Radeon 8500 Retail --Video Card
Teac --Floppy
Sony 16x --Cd-ROM/DVD
Maxtor --HDD
Enermax --PSU
256 Mb crucial RAM

and it boots up, fans spin.. I even hear the heartening... BLEEEPPPPPP

but the screen remains idle [orange light]

so, I say what the hell.. let's use a video card I know works.. and a monitor from my other computer [which i was just on]

unplug the monitor [it reads "no signal" .. then i plug my TNT2 into the new comp and take the Radeon out.. plug the monitor in.. and the "no signal" sign disappears.

So I restart the computer, and STILL IDLE!!! >.<

I took out the CMOS jumper and reset that.. still no go

help?

yeah, didn't change a thing.

edit: oh yeah, i forgot to say the lights on my mobo are functioning aswell.. so there is reason to believe the MOBO works...

sigh

I had this problem once - caused by a faulty mobo BIOS.
Try a different CPU and different RAM. Look for chips/cracks on the CPU die.

...hehehehe

Thanks Dragonbud ALL I HAD TO DO WAS MOVE THE RAM.

haha, thanks to everyone else for helping. Good thing I didn't kill the CPU [etc.]! WHEW!

Soren said:
stepping?

Look on the CPU die (the wee sticky-out bit middle of the top). There should be, on the second line, a sequence of letters. ie, AXIA, AHYJA - my tbird is ASHHA and my Duron is AKAA (I think). THe stepping gives a good indication of the overclocking ability.

that is going to be a ***** to find out.. seeing as it was A PAIN to get that damned heatsink on.. Oh well, if it'll give me a good idea... what the heck

Soren said:
that is going to be a ***** to find out.. seeing as it was A PAIN to get that damned heatsink on.. Oh well, if it'll give me a good idea... what the heck

I know what you mean. I have to positively prise my HSF off :D

I found out my stepping (ASHHA) and found out that it is useless for overclocking :(

Mother f---ing $*%& &$*# *#$&$ *@#!!

Ok.. I believe my stepping is ARGA.. how do I learn how this will help, and WHAT DOES IT mean??

I think I had a link to an AMD site which helped tell what the rest of the junk on the die meant.. but I lost it, anyone have it???

die ---

A1000AMT3C
ARGA0119GPBW
then, numbers

The stepping can give an indication of how good an overclock you are likely to get. Ask in the AMD CPUs section how good this stepping is. Ask if anyone has had any luck with it.

Back