• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Computer wont start and not sure where I should start....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WheaT

So I was gaming last night and when I was done I shut my computer off. Come to turn it on this morning and there is an error message. I do not recall what the message was. Something about my overclock. In hindsight I do wish I had paid more attention to that message. Anywho, it wanted me to restart the computer and I had to choose ok. I hit the button, computer shuts down and starts its boot process. It restarts, gets to the initial screen, does a few things then shuts off and auto-restarts again. Reboot, attempt to get into bios, same thing. Video demonstrates this.

I can't even get into the bios setup to restore defaults as you can see in the video. I have removed the motherboard battery attempting to reset the bios. Still does this. I have removed the ram and tried one stick at a time in different dimms because I thought it might be the ram as its freezing right at that check. Whats really strange is it gets to that screen then shuts off.

Bottom line, at this point I am terribly confused :bang head where I should be trying to swap out next and/or what the problem could possibly be. Any help in the right direction would be terribly appreciated.

Does your board have a clear cmos button or jumper? If not pull the CR2032 battery and let it sit. :p

I would also disconnect everything that is not vital to the computer booting. video card if you have onboard any extra hard drives...

Ya, I'd check the manual for the location of the CMOS jumper. That will get you to defaults, and you should be all set.

On your Z68X-UD3H-B3 its the jumper right above your front I/O connections.

Edit: With your computer off and unplugged just connect the two points with a screw driver or something then power it up and see if you can get into the bios.

Ok. I cleared the CMOS with the jumper. I know its cleared because now I am seeing the Splash screen instead of the version you saw. I removed all unnecessary devices, including the Video card and all 3 harddrives. It is still doing the same thing. I have never seen anything like this before.

One quick question. Would a computer do this because of a short in the power supply? I have cats like like to chew cords and just wanted to know if this was a possiblity. I would think it there is a problem with the PSU the machine would not turn on at all.

Thanks for the help so far.

Is there any chance it could be the CPU or MB? I am going to be running to the store and need to decide what all I need to pickup.

Is there a POST beep or POST code on the Debug LED? And I assume that besides the 24-pin ATX PSU connector, you have power going to the 8-pin 12V_2X4 power connector, and you've tried re-seating both? Have you tried assembling the board outside the case?

It's hard to say cpus are pretty resilient. On your video your board starts to post and recognizes your cpu and ram. How far away from the store are you.

Back