• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] dual PSU's - how much Watt's each for this set up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Hey all!

yes me again!

i am buying the coolermaster stacker which ahd room for dual PSU's so i figure why not get duals - since they include the lovely adapter anyways to connect the 2 together so they start together.

Now, here will be the specs of this system

• Asus P4P800 (possibly an AI7 very soon)
  • P4 2.6C - plan to O/C and aim for 3Ghz
  • X800PRO with a possible vcore mod
  • 2 x 250g Serial ATA HD's
  • 1 DVD-ROM
  • 1 CDROM or CDRW

Now the case for fans has / will have
  • 2 x 120mm
  • min. possibly 4 80mm fans
  • @ least 1 cold cathode (black light most likely)

Based on those hardware components what would be safe to get 2 of?

2 x 350W
2 x 400 W ?

I will likely designate 1 PSU to the MOBO / VID card and the other PSU would run the fans / lights and harddrives.

thoughts?

Also - i plan to get a attarctive PSU one that can be shown off, not some borrinw metal looking poo poo :D

Yes, i said poo poo
:D

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Hmm, that AeroCool AeroPower II is nice and has stronger rails, but in all honesty I've never heard of that company b4 so i can't vouch for that product.

As for the Fortron, that i can definately stand by on. I vote Fortrons. 18a on the 12v rail, but since it's a Fortron it should have adjustable pots inside ;) .

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

^^ what Wattage should i go for if i get 2? could i settle for 2 x 350 or you think a 350w would power a 2.6 + an x800 PRO

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

okay i think i am going to get 2 of these

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-963&depa=0

Fortron Source 400W Power Supply With 12CM Blue LED, Model "FSP400-60PNU-R" -RETAIL $69 a pop (frozencpu has em for $79)
2 of these will look sweet in da case!

17-104-963-12.jpg

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

Nebulous said:
Hmmm, I would get 2-400 watters to be on the safe side. 350w is a bare minimum for a rig with 1hdd, 1rom. You got double that plus that X800 is gonna need power.

Yeah, go with 2x400w Fortrons :thup:

Anyways, why u wanna get 2-400w? Get a Pc&c 510w. That sucka has enough voltage to power a small city.

i figure get 2 - cause i got the room for em....LOL :D and it will look like one hell of a power house :D - i dont think there is any reall "good" reason to get them besides i got room for em :D

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Mr.Guvernment said:
i figure get 2 - cause i got the room for em....LOL :D and it will look like one hell of a power house :D - i dont think there is any reall "good" reason to get them besides i got room for em :D

LOL, otay. I see where you're getting at :beer: Post pics of the beast when it's done! :attn:

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ going to start a journal - take pics of the building process - i think we need another one of those threads, not enough :p

JKeefe

Woah, wait a minute.

That proposed system does not need dual PSUs.

Here's what I'm running off of one Antec SmartPower 350W. It's not even a TruePower.

P4 2.4C @ 3000 MHz running [email protected] 24/7, 1.55 Vcore
Asus P4P800 @ 250 MHz FSB
1024MB of PC3200 RAM
128MB Radeon 9800 Pro
Audigy 2 ZS PCI
2 36GB Raptors in SATA RAID 0
1 20 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM HDD
2 optical drives
1 floppy drive
1 Sunbeam rheobus dialing down 4 fans
The PSU powers 5 other fans, some @ 12V, some at 7V

My 3.3V rail never drops below 3.23V. My 5V rail never drops below 4.95V. My 12V rail never drops below 11.92V.

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

I know it does not "need" dual PSU'[ :D

but think of how sweet it will look with dual PSU's and how sweeettttttttttttt it will sound when i descrive my system to n00bs :0

"yeah man - i got dual 400w PSU's and a coolermaster stackjer case with blah blah blah blah" ")

i am very aware i dont need dual PSU's - i could easily get some 500W PSU that would power my whole system fine - but lest say - i am going all out in a sense so to say with this system - as i am SURE with in a year - maybe less - i will end up selling this system to someone here in Costa Rica - and even in ayear - you wont be able to buy this type of syst5em here :D

SOOO in a "marketing sense" what sounds better

"yeah - it has a 500w PSU" or " it has dual 400w Fortraon PSU's with blue LED's"

:D

JKeefe

Style over substance... perhaps dual 80mm rear exhaust would actually do some good, as opposed to a needless second PSU (although you're right - it does sound cool).

One thing I will not disagree on, though; that is one hell of a sweet case.

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ hehe - yeah i was thinkgn dual80mm - but the way this case is desgisn with so much open area, not sure it would be needed - i will have to see - as the second PSU on the bottom wiill have the large 120mm fan facing up - as to suck air down and out - really the way this will work out - i will not need the 120mm fan in the back by the cpu - or may not - will do some testing

as i will ahve 1 PSU at the top and one at bottom - both sucking air out :D

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

^^^^ lol 0 you want now too :)

it is costing me $138 US for dual 400w Fortron PSU's - which is not bad - split it even have the mobo / CPU / vid card on one PSU and the HD's and fans on the other :d

and if one PSU dies - you already have a back up in place :D

Once you get your case - going to have to post pics with what ever you do wit it :D

JKeefe

The mobo, CPU, and vid card are a hell of a lot more load than you hard drives and fans.

I would put the mobo/CPU (and RAM, that means) on one PSU, and the vid card, HDDs, and fans on the other.

HDDs and fans are constant load items - they are always on, and always draw the same amount of current. You motherboard current draw may vary quite a bit depending on processor load.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
If I were you I'd just get one high quality power supply. Having multiple ones adds to the confusion.

I've run a 350 with a 225 before. The 225 did the CDroms and fans while the other one did the rest. The 225 also had a 24V rail(thanks goes to myself :D).

Maybe its because I had to push a button to start each one of them, but it was just a hassle. If I were you I'd just go with the simpler, and higher quality one. Good luck.

OP
Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ the only reason i am getting duals, well 2 reason

1. the case has room :)
2. - Cooler master is providing with the case an adapter that lets them turn on together

Okay 3 reasons :)

it will look kick arse! ;D

Good thoughts Jkeefe - i will have to mess witth the configurations and see what give the best results - either which way i dont think i will have a shortage of power :)