• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Explorer.exe Errors!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KaHNZa

I keep getting explorer.exe errors. If I let it sit long enough they go away. But then doing certain things can trigger it to happen again. I'm just wondering if others have had this problem and know how to fix it? Or maybe there is a way to overwrite explorer.exe with a fresh version.

KaHNZa said:
I keep getting explorer.exe errors. If I let it sit long enough they go away. But then doing certain things can trigger it to happen again. I'm just wondering if others have had this problem and know how to fix it? Or maybe there is a way to overwrite explorer.exe with a fresh version.

I dunno what causes it, but I get them too. I suspect it's poorly-written, hidden PHP code or the like.

I'd like to know what causes it, and a solution also. =\

guys, I just removed a virus off a system that used a program called explorer... except it put it into the windows/system32 director instead of the windows drectory. check your registry and if you have it update your virus definitions... also this little critter can eat your virus software... I've seen it do it too. Fresh install of Norton AV and the thing ate it like nothing. The system was issuing alot of "explorer.exe" errors and slowed the system to a crawl. IF you are using P2P progs like Kazza you might have it as that is likely the source for the ones I cleaned off.... oh and it's a backdoor trojan too. Had lots of fun cleaning that system... Oh and if you have it. reboot to safe mode to remove it. can't remove it any other way.

I think I fixed my problem. I managed to log out. Then I logged in as Admin and all seems to work perfectly. :)

if all else fails and you still have the problems, you can pop your windows cd back in and do a repair install (install the os back over to os) to repair any damaged files... works well.

or, if you just want to replace explorer.exe

Reboot into DOS mode (hit F5 when booting up if you have to) and put your Windows OS CD in. Then type...

del c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe
copy d:\i386\explorer.ex_ c:\windows\system32
cd c:\windows\system32
rename explorer.ex_ explorer.exe

This will replace explorer.exe with the new one off the CD. Just customize the "windows" directory to your machine (i.e. c:\WinNT\system32).

Back