• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help - File sharing, VERY URGENT PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

okay, I've been behind a hub and everything worked fine, shared files, printers, etc. in my XP Pro with Zonealarm.

I just bought the Belkin's 54G 802.11G router (F5D7230-4) that has both wire and wireless.

I hook the wired port to my PC and using a linksys wireless pc card on my laptop.

Both are able to go to internet.

But I cannot access each other. I reset everything, disabled Zonealarm and XP firewall. Setup new networking wizard with new name and new group name. Still can't. I can ping from one to each other fine without any loss. However, I just can't access each other. One time, I was able to "View workgroup" on the PC, but can't on the laptop, now it's vice versa.

Please help me out as to what I'm missing or did wrong.

Thanks a lot

OP
N

nkcd

I just restart both the PC and the laptop, now the PC can view the workgroups but laptop can't.

I just hooked another PC via WIRED connection and both PCs are able to interact fine but neither can interact with the laptop. They can still ping each other though. I think the problem lies between the wired and wireless connection as to I still do not know how to fix it. Please help. Thanks

OP
N

nkcd

drenader said:
Just wondering whats so "URGENT" about this. Can't wait your turn?

Because I need these to be connect ASAP so that I can finish my project and turn in b4 midnight. :(

TalRW

If you gotta turn it in before midnight and both computers can acess the internet I sugjest e-mailing it to yourself or using AIM/Yahoo messenger file transfers. Just a quick fix, good luck on the filesharing problem.

OP
N

nkcd

No, it's not something like that, I'm doing this lab for TCOM where we're testing out this new software that utilize the CPU's of all the computer on the network to do ONE task and submit the result.

I don't know what else I can do about this problem. I prolly have to wait for experts to come around.

OP
N

nkcd

SavageBasher said:
can they ping each other?

yes, they can ping each other fine, there're no loss or whatever. It just that I can't establish the connection between the wired and wireless network.

I have linksys WPC55AG card for my laptop and set up to use the infrastructure system (not ad-hoc) but I don't know why I can't make a connection. Internet, is working fine. I ran the router check and i see that all the IPs are presenting within the network.

I'm beginning to think that this router cannot do like what they said it could. It can only give internet access to WIRED and Wirless network, but cannot filesharing between the 2s. And that each network can only share in their own networking. I'm not sure, arg.............

Last edited:
OP
N

nkcd

Finally got it to work. I don't know which one of the 2 but I added the new protocol NWLinkNetBIOS (MY wired PC worked fine without it though, so I dunno) to both my PCs and my Laptop. I also set the access point (infrastructure) network only under the advance button of the Wireless Networking thingy. Now I'm all connected :)

Thanks everyone for your efforts.

PCGUY112887

I'm glad you got it working. I feel your pain... you just have to do something where they need to be able to talk to eachother and they just refuse to see eachother!