• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: High temps on i9-9900k stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMechanic124

Registered
Hi all,

My first post here. I have an Asus Z370-A prime motherboard, which used to run a 8700k pretty well with a Dark Rock 4 cooler.

I upgraded the CPU to a i9-9900k, re-used the cooler. I can't seem to run it stock, due to high temps. prime 95 seems to shoot right at 100C temps, and it starts throttling.
I tried reducing the voltage to 1.25V, but it crashes. It actually crashes at anything other than 1.35, where it is even hotter.

At stock speeds (load optimized defaults), it does not crash at 4.8Ghz but it is extremely hot.

The only place where it is happy is at a multiplier of 44, where I can down the voltage to 1.2V. It runs prime (right now, and it's hovering at 75 celsius).

But I did not buy this cpu to run it at 4400 ....

Anyone any ideas ?
Yeah , I know motherboard is old and it is not a Z390, but that is a story for another day. I bought darn Gigabyte Aorus Ultra for this CPU, which was faulty, so now I would like to run it here on my Asus until I make up my mind.

Could this cpu be a bad sample, running hot?

Many thanks for any insight.

Can I assume you used new TIM when you re-used the cooler?

You mean thermal paste ? Of course, I cleaned it properly with alcohol, and applied a very thin layer like always on the cpu only.
I am using arctic silver 5.

The thing is, it idles nicely at 30 degrees.. But what is very strange, is that it crashes under prime95 with manual voltage input, and I went as high as 1.37V. Anything other than Auto when selecting auto multiplier, bang, crash under load.

The only stable area is 44-45 max, with 1.2V, where temps are under 80C full load with prime95.

1803 bios or newer?

Yep, latest from Asus.

I managed to keep it at "Auto" multiplier now by increasing the load line calibration to 5 and CPU voltage capability to 140%, so this bugger needs more than the 8700k, much more.
Dropped now V core to 1.3, still shooting at 100 celsius and throttling...

Not sure where to go from here...

Thanks !

Ok,

I had to re-seat the cooler, it seems to be better now. I was tired last night, must have not tightened all screws properly.
Now I can keep the temps under control on the CPU, but it seems that VRM is overheating (most likely) as multiplier drops to 33-35 under high load with prime95, and CPU temps never get over 75 degrees...

Is this board really not up to task to drive this cpu reliably at stock speeds, not over clocked?

I tried playing with DRM+DIGI settings, but if I don't feed enough load line calibration, it crashes. Either that, or give it more voltage. If CPU is not throttling, I think the VRM overheats and drops multipliers.

Anyone tried this combo or similar and had success?

Thanks a lot.

Ok, final update. It works. It is more complicated than it looks. I had to run Hwinfo 64 to find out that the cpu power limits are exceeding.
When this happens, it will throttle down the multiplier to limit power usage. I had to increase the CPU power limit under "CPU power settings" or something like that in bios to over 200w, in order for CPU to eat as much as it want from the VRM's. It seems to hover about 170-180W when fully loaded in prime95.

I am running a voltage of 1.3 now with load line calibration of 5, and it seems fine. Temps are under 80 mostly with prime 95, and cpu clock is mainly at 48 or below, depending on application avx or not.
Played project cars 2 for 1 hour, no issues on 1440k resolution all maxed out and no issues. I had an average of 65 frames per second before with not overclocked 8700k, now it runs at over 120 :)

That Gigabyte board with the ugly bios is going back now :)

Ok, final update. It works. It is more complicated than it looks. I had to run Hwinfo 64 to find out that the cpu power limits are exceeding.
When this happens, it will throttle down the multiplier to limit power usage. I had to increase the CPU power limit under "CPU power settings" or something like that in bios to over 200w, in order for CPU to eat as much as it want from the VRM's. It seems to hover about 170-180W when fully loaded in prime95.

I am running a voltage of 1.3 now with load line calibration of 5, and it seems fine. Temps are under 80 mostly with prime 95, and cpu clock is mainly at 48 or below, depending on application avx or not.
Played project cars 2 for 1 hour, no issues on 1440k resolution all maxed out and no issues. I had an average of 65 frames per second before with not overclocked 8700k, now it runs at over 120 :)

That Gigabyte board with the ugly bios is going back now :)
welcome to Intel's 14+++++++++++ and i9-9900k!

Thanks ! I actually got the Gigabyte Aorus replaced, installed and running now on prime 95 . It seems more *compatible" with the i9-9900k, it didn't need much tweaking to hit 5Ghz, just some load line calibration and some CPU voltage tweaking.

Very happy with the i9-9900k.

Yeah, I was gonna say I suspect the Prime A power section is a little challenged for that 9900k.

Back