• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! How do I rename files using the windows recovery console?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I was messing around in the windows system folder and renamed a file on accident. Now when ever I boot up and windows starts to load the computer restarts. I wont even go into safe mode. Is there a way I can use the recovery console to raname to its original name? If so, please tell me the command and stuff.

thanks.

OP
gingo

gingo

Nevermind, I'm reformatting now :( Last time I mess with cracks...........

minoukat

type Ren [original filename] [filename you want]

be sure to add the extensions and all, type CD [directory name] to move into a different directory and CD.. to get back to the old one (yes, there are two dots after the CD)

looktall

in recovery console, if you type help, it'll spit out a list of commands you can use.

typing the command you want followed by /? (eg ren /? ) will list the correct syntax for using the command.

not that you need to know now, but for future reference.
:D

OP
gingo

gingo

I tried renaming but it said the path was wrong or somthing. dunno why I messed with the crack anyway, just wanted to test it out. Now I'm happily running with a legit copy of XP Home and SP1.