• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! I broke something...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

Alright, I'd like to admit and say first that I made a stupid mistake last night. However stupid it may seem to whoever is reading this, please lets try and fix the problem and not dwell on my stupidity. Thank you!

Here are my system specs:

Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
CPU: P4 2.4GHz "M0" OCed to 3.3ghz
Ram: Mushkin PC3500 Level II
Video Card: 9800 Pro 128MB
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Hard Drives: 74GB Raptor, 40GB 5400 RPM and 160GB 7200 RPM Storage drives
Optical Drives: NEC 2510A, Samsung DVD-ROM
PSU: Antec 480W True Series
Cooling: SP-94 W/ 80mm Panaflo, Swiftech MCX159-P NB cooler, Artic Cooling VGA Silencer

Ok, so yesterday I came home after shopping around for a desk chair to find my computer had crashed. I figured it was because I hadn’t cleaned out my heatsink in a while and it was clogged with cat fur and the processor overheated. So later on in the evening I decided to clean out the heatsink, but I didn’t want to shut down as I was doing something important at the time. I wanted what I was doing to be able to do it all night without being interrupted. So, without thinking about it, I turned of [email protected] and opened up the case, I took off the fan and cleaned out the heatsink. The temp raised to about 45C, not too bad since its normally 33C or so. Well I decided to turn the fan on low so that it could get some air flow. I then attempted to place the fan clip on the fan. I got one on, but the other one is bent so I had some trouble. Please note that I have to move the NB heatsink a little bit to get the bottom fan clip on. Next thing I know, my finger got hit by a fan blade and took a little chunk away. I didn’t think much about it, but I looked for the little piece of skin because I didn’t want it to short anything out. Then I started smelling burnt plastic (can’t think how else to describe this). Then the screen goes blank. So I attempt to turn off the power by holding the power button on the front of the case. I held it for about a minute but nothing happened. So I turned off the power from the power supply. I finished attaching the fan and powered up. Blank screen. I turned off all the fans and let it sit for 5 minutes, checking the heatsinks to make sure they weren’t getting too hot. The cpu heatsink stayed cold, but the video card heatsink felt slightly warm. So now I’m stuck with a computer that won’t work. I have a feeling its the motherboard because if it was the video card, the rest of the computer would start up and the motherboard speaker would give two beeps warning that there is no video card in place, right? Also, if it was the motherboard, nothing would work and so that would explain why the cpu heatsink doesn’t get hot. I think what might have happened is either the piece of skin landed on the mobo somewhere and shorted something out, or when I tried to put on the bottom fan clip on the cpu heatsink and had to move the NB heatsink out of the way, the NB might have gotten too toasty and burnt out.

Please help and let me know what I might have to replace. I have a second computer at my house, but its about 3 years old. Its a HP with a 1.6GHZ P4 Willimate. Its socket 478 and it has 256MB memory and onboard graphics. I was thinking of putting my video card in it and seeing if it would work, to eliminate that as a possibility. How can I test if my mobo is my problem or possibly the processor as the problem? My processor will fit in the HP because its the same socket, but I don’t think the HP will recognize it because my processor is newer. I wish I had the money to buy different stuff and try it out, but I don’t so please help. Thanks again!

OP
gustav

gustav

dude, shut up. you know i know that now, i told you on aim. dont act like your all smart.

ok, no thanks to the MANY people that replied, ive figured out it was my mobo. i tested everything else so it has to be it.

/vent

Blueboy1986

Just because u are mad doesnt give u the right to talk to anyone like that. Especially if they are trying to help u out! Maybe if u were a little nicer

OP
gustav

gustav

Blueboy1986 said:
Just because u are mad doesnt give u the right to talk to anyone like that. Especially if they are trying to help u out! Maybe if u were a little nicer

well, the reason why i said that is because i almost always talk to him on aim every day. i told him about my problem and that i was 99% sure it was my mobo. so he comes here and acts smart saying its my mobo when i just told him im 99% sure it is in fact my mobo. he said he did it so i would get replies, which i dont find funny when i need help. the reason why i posted here is because i figured there are people with lots of experience here and may be able to tell me that no, its something else. i dont find people cracking jokes about something serious funny. thats all. yes i know part of it was that i was mad, but thats a given when you lose a $180 part.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
He was "bumping" your thread like a friend would. If he said something else it might be thought of as thread crapping, like what I'm doing now. :p

If I were, I'd turn it on and off a few times. If nothing, reseat the RAM(just do it). If nothing again, then take out the Cpu and make sure that's all good.

Maybe your crushed the NB when you bent the heatsink up.

Good Luck. :)

OP
gustav

gustav

Foxie3a said:
He was "bumping" your thread like a friend would. If he said something else it might be thought of as thread crapping, like what I'm doing now. :p

If I were, I'd turn it on and off a few times. If nothing, reseat the RAM(just do it). If nothing again, then take out the Cpu and make sure that's all good.

Maybe your crushed the NB when you bent the heatsink up.

Good Luck. :)

if he did do it for a bump, i guess it didnt do much cuz no one replied for another day or two :p

anyway, the ram was in fine and i even took it out and had to put it in the computer im using now. the video card is fine cuz i used it in my friends rig. the hard drives are fine cuz i hear them spin up when i power it up. the only two things left are the cpu or mobo, and ive seen the processor at hotter temps so i dont think that could be it. im pretty sure something is messed up with the mobo. we'll see when my new one comes in. :\

Blueboy1986

Well if u know what u did, then what do u want us to do about it? I mean u think so urself that u said u fried your mobo. Maybe u should have it tested just to make sure. I mean could save you the $180 bucks that u might spend buying a new one. Also dont u think this thread belongs in the mobo section?

MadSkillzMan

what is the NB?

Its possible u could have damaged your CPU working on the fan and heatsink....while its on none the less thatsa big no no!.

I do hope u get ur rig fully functional soon though, good luck