• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, I can't get it to work. A7V8X w/Athlon XP2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjinxed

I just got this new set up after ditching my old P3-500. I got this Antec SLK3700 Case, Asus A7V8X, Athlon XP 2400+, Volcano 9 and cheap 266 Memory (I know I know...I didn't plan on getting a nice MOBO & Processor when I started collecting parts)

Anyway, I am trying to install XP Pro and it keeps locking up during the install at the same place. I have tried installing from 3 different XP CDs, with 2 different CD-ROMS, from either of the IDE channels and I keep getting the same thing. As soon as I accept the license agreement, the computer freezes.

I have also tried installing 95, 98, and NT, to no avail. The computer either locks up or crashes at some point during the install.

I am not trying to over clock but I am new to these newer processors and MOBOs so I don't know what things should be set at. When I turned on the computer, it auto set to 133/33 bus x 10.5 multiplier....which did not sound right so I set it to 133/33x15 and auto voltage (it is setting itself at 1.65) And the temp is steady at 40C in the BIOS.

Any suggestions would be great! I have been battling with this for 4 days now. Help, please!

MJL:mad:

JoJoMoJo

not familiar with the 2400 xps and there default voltage but I had the same problem and the default voltage was not high enough. When i increased the Vcore..........no problems.

OP
M

mjinxed

Does anyone know what clock, multiplier, & voltage I should be using?? I have gone up to 1.85volt at 133/33x15

Opie420

Registered
It might not be a processor issue. I've been reloading all of my rigs over the past few days and in every case I've had to remove the NIC prior to installing the OS. If a NIC is installed it hangs a minute or two after the license agreement. I had this issue with both intel pro100+ and 3com 3c905tx cards. Once the OS is loaded I can pop the NIC back in and everything is fine.

Maybe you should try removing all of your pci cards and disabling all the onboard stuff, and then try it again?

Malakai

double check all your bios settings.
shut everything off in the bios that you arent gonna use (integrated stuff) and:

double check to make sure APIC (not ACPI) is off. on most AMD systems, if u enable APIC it will crash the comp during XO install every time. you usually wont get through the HDD formatting

OP
M

mjinxed

Thanks for the infor but I shut off everything I could in the BIOS that I could and no go. I turned off power management, the serial & parallel prots, USB & sound. Oddly, though, I could not find anything to shut off the onboard NIC on the Asus A7V8X.

Either way, still same problem, go to load Windows XP and it loads drivers then asks if I want to Install, Repair, or exit. I hit enter for install, the floppy LED lights up and the system is locked.

Another thought is besides the fact that my memory is crap, it is only 266. Everything & everyone I have looked at has 333 used with the Athlon XP 2400+. Will this just plain not work with 266??

THANKS!

MJL

GosuWar

Registered
I've experienced every problem in the book, no doubt... this one is the ram OR Ide-Slave

Locking up in the middle of anything is always caused by bad memory check, like you said ("I got cheap 266 memory"), always ALWAYS ALWAAYS go for the good brand memory... otherwise you'll get ****.

Anyways, I tried installing ALL types of windows on my system before, none of them would work cause they said 'invalid file here, invalid file there' or locked up.. and it turned out to be that my IDE cable was going into primary IDE 1 slot on the mobo, the master IDE was set to the HD, the Slave IDE (Middle Pin connector) was set to the CD-ROM, and it obviously did not like that. So I used a seperate IDE connector for both the HD and CD-ROM, plugged HD into Primary IDE 1, and Cd-ROM Primary IDE 2, which is liek the 3rd one down, 2nd Master.

Hope it helps, otherwise it's DEFINITELY your ram, unless you ****ed up your processor on installation... which I doubt. Your motherboard seems fine, but processor would cause freezing much earlier.