• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, I can't get it to work. A7V8X w/Athlon XP2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjinxed

I just got this new set up after ditching my old P3-500. I got this Antec SLK3700 Case, Asus A7V8X, Athlon XP 2400+, Volcano 9 and cheap 266 Memory (I know I know...I didn't plan on getting a nice MOBO & Processor when I started collecting parts)

Anyway, I am trying to install XP Pro and it keeps locking up during the install at the same place. I have tried installing from 3 different XP CDs, with 2 different CD-ROMS, from either of the IDE channels and I keep getting the same thing. As soon as I accept the license agreement, the computer freezes.

I have also tried installing 95, 98, and NT, to no avail. The computer either locks up or crashes at some point during the install.

I am not trying to over clock but I am new to these newer processors and MOBOs so I don't know what things should be set at. When I turned on the computer, it auto set to 133/33 bus x 10.5 multiplier....which did not sound right so I set it to 133/33x15 and auto voltage (it is setting itself at 1.65) And the temp is steady at 40C in the BIOS.

Any suggestions would be great! I have been battling with this for 4 days now. Help, please!

MJL:mad:

thats usually the cpu overheating... that happened to me many a times when i forgot to plug in the CPU_FAN go to install the os again and then put ur ear close the computer tell me if u hear a hgih pictched noise if you do make sure all the cooling gear is mounted and plugged in. good luck

You say you are running cheap 266 memory. How fast are you running the memory though? I am not familiar with that particular mobo but you probably have the choice to run at HCLK or HCLK+33 (ddr333 speed). Verify that you don't have your memory overclocked.

At first I did have my cooling setup wrong. I have a Volcano 9 and I had it and the 120MM case fan hooked up to the power leads on the power supply (an Antec True 330) that are labeled "Fan only". The case fan was spinning at 1600RPM and the CPU fan as spinning at 1300RPM. Now I have them both connected to the normal power leads that power hard drives and CD-ROMs and the case fan is spinning at 2600RPM and the Volcano 9 is spinning at 5300RPM (bringing my temp down from 44.5C to 37.5C). One thing I am concerned about is that it is showing the power fan speed in red at 1268RPM. I don't know what it should be spinning at.

As far as the memory, I have it set to the default which is "by SPD" whatever that means. I only paid $33 each for a pair of 256MB 266MHz modules and the chips themselves say "MD" on them, whoever the heck that is.

Is the setting of 133/33x15 correct for the Athlon XP 2400+? And at what voltage? I don't seem to be able to find that info anywhere. I want to eventually overclock (once I get some better memory and a nicer video card) but for now I would settle for being able to install windows.

THANKS!

MJL

EDIT: by the way, no, there is not a setting that I can see for HCLK or HCLK+33

Have you looked at what version of your bios you have to see if you need to update it to accept a 2400?

you might need to flash the bios to get it to work properly.
you might be limited to the first bios which usually means you have up to an XP 2200 option and no more...

When I got the board it had version 1006 of the BIOS which would support up to the 2400+. Since I have run into this problem, I have updated to 1008 which is the latest and it's only addition according to notes was support for the 2600+. v1007 fixed a problem the board had with the 2200+ chip.

MJL

Back