• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!! I can't get Radeon 9700 to work on this motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogetadbl

I just got a new Radeon 9700 Pro shipped. Previously I had a 3dfx Voodoo 5 PCI. Do I have to change the video from PCI to AGP cuz i'm unable to find the option to do that in bios. My CPU is not overclocked.

When I'm at the post screen, i see dots of white and multicolored stripes as well as dots sometimes. Then when i am in windows, it freezes with multi colored dots in rows. WheN I try to install drivers, I restart then as soon as I get into Windows, everything freezes. I tried reinstalling drivers in Safe mode with no luck. I tried newest drivers install too, no work. Also in device manager, there lists 9700 series and 9700 series Sec. Also it is running in 4x bus.Anyone have any new solutions?
Location of the radeon (according to windows device manager)
PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0
PCI bus 2, device 0, function 1
Please! THis is getting very very frustrating and if you guys recommend a geforce I could try it since my Epox 8rda+ Nforce2 was nvidia supported

Last edited:
What OS are you using?

Last summer I set up a friend with some new stuff. The Gainward GF-2 Ti was dead when I got it. To tide him over until the RMA replacement arrived, I set up the computer with an old Trident PCI with 1 meg of memory.
When the replacement card arrived, I installed it in his machine. I removed the PCI card in Device Manager, stuck in the new AGP card, booted and installed drivers. But I was having all kind of crazy video problems, any 3D application would make it crash.
I tried a repair install, no luck.
I finally formatted and reinstalled Windows XP. That fixed the problem.
That may be what it takes for you as well.

I am using XP. I would prefer not to reformat becuase I have no way to store my data :(

your data wont be lost, you will just have a fresh install of windows, we're not telling you to format...

Woot after installing SP1 I get an error:
Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. please save your work and reboot to restore full funcionality

gogetadbl said:
I have no way to store my data :(

Can't you make another partition on your hd and put your data there?

Format/restore. Not just reinstall but the whole enchilada..

Last edited:
Back