• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help installing 2.5.69 kernel under RH 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gordon Airport

Registered
I just can't seem to get it to work. Everything compiles (with a few warnings about undefined symbols) but when I try to boot into it it's a disaster. A bunch of stuff fails during rc.sysinit, then it trys to load the graphical log-in and fails, which gives me the option of running the X configuration program. No matter what I do there it drops me on a screen with a single line error (which I can't recall) and no prompt or ability to type. It looks like it may not have the ability to load modules (something about qm-modules?) but I'm quite sure that was enabled in the kernel configuration.
I thought I was being fairly safe with the configuration I chose...is this just to bleeding edge? Is there some RedHat specific quirk I'm not getting? Should I have held out until I learned more?

Titan386

Are you aware that the 2.5.* series of kernels are the unstable branch? That might be the source of some of your problems. I would, unless there is a specfic reason why you need 2.5.*, use a 2.4.* kernel, which are of the stable branch. That would be, IMO, a safer configuration.

OP
G

Gordon Airport

Registered
Oh, yeah I know the n.odds are unstable. It's just that I managed to get a custom 2.4.20 kernel working and I figured I'd try to take on the world :D
That and I'm having trouble getting lm_sensors working (on 2.4) and it looks like the i2c and everything is already in the 2.5 kernel.

Titan386

Heh, I can understand that :)

Red Hat might not be the best distro to play around with the kernel with, though. I once compiled a custom (stable) kernel, and it also gave a few errors on startup (relating to USB modules, I believe). It seems that Red Hat assumed that you have a certain kernel configuration, and boots up the system accordingly. Every other distro I've tried (Debian and Gentoo) did not complain, whether or not I had USB compiled as modules. Just something to consider.

OP
G

Gordon Airport

Registered
Well I got it working - not fully but it can get to the desktop.
I thought I was pre-empting problems by doing a "make install" at the end to create the weird RAM disk (?) stuff the RH uses to boot (how a vanilla kernel.org Makefile knows about this I'm not sure.) When I skipped that and moved bzImage up to /boot myself (like in the HOWTO I was following) and told GRUB it's root= the root of my linux partition it managed to start.
It came up without networking or audio; now that I've tried straightening them out in the kernel it won't get all of the way through the KDE startup device check, so there's still work to do...