• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP isp speed signs on 115200bps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trainwreck

I just installed a isa modem now when I sign onto my browser I get 115200 bps could this be true or is it not reading it right.

Its not true. Basically what it does is default to that. So it can SAY 1,234,567,890K if it wants, but you're still going to connect around 56K or whatever your connection speed is. Just leave it there, it doesn't hurt anything...

with my pci modem it never said anything higher than 53 with the connection speed set to 115200 and it seemed to run like it was at that posted speed this is a SUPRA isa 56k modem set to 115200 and that's what it says when it connects odd huh , might be me or my new Hd but it seems faster is there anyway to tell for sure with a benchmark program

My connection will do that occasionally.

From what I have learned by talking to a friend who owns an isp, one reason this can happen is particularly low bandwidth draw on the isp's end when you dial in.

E.g. several people drop off line at the exact time that you are coming on and for what ever reason the system will put you down as being connected at a higher speed than you actually are.

He did tell me that most, if not all isp's, will limit the bandwith drawn by each person. Sort of like a limiter on a go cart, it will only let you pull a maximum amount of bandwidth.

At least that is the explanation I got.

it is definitely not at 115200. There are 2 connections when on the internet. Between the modem and ur computer and between the modem and the outside line. the one between the modem and computer is always 115200 unless u make it higher. The one to the outside line is around 40000 to 50000 depending on the phone lines. Mine is 24000:mad: cause i have sh*tty phone lines on my road.

Train/ I have a Supra Express and it shows your same speed . I wished it showed the actual speed like my previous Winmodem did, so I can reconnect until I get a decent speed. Knowing the actual connection speed is very useful when gaming.

that is true I had hoped that it just meant I was at the maxium available speed but I guess it would be best to go back to my viking pci modem so I know the true connection speed.

AntiHeiss said:
Its not true. Basically what it does is default to that. So it can SAY 1,234,567,890K if it wants, but you're still going to connect around 56K or whatever your connection speed is. Just leave it there, it doesn't hurt anything...

The same thing happens with my parents ISA modem. But as far as I have been able to tell it still is only a 56K speed.

dragon orb has already nicely explained the difference above. Pretty much the same thing can be found here.

If you would rather see the DCE speed, you can probably set a different parameter in the modem's init string. I was going to dig this out of my old Zoom manual, but it's in hiding. Looking through this page, I found the familiar (for me, anyway) old S95 code. Enter S95=0 (that's a zero) into your init string. That's the one that used to take care of the problem for me a long, long time ago.

All it's showing you is what your serial port speed is actually set at. 56K is all you're going to get from line to modem though, as everyone else stated.

However if you have your modem lower than your computer and the phone jack lower still than the modem, gravity could help you get a better speed.....
:cool:

Back