• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!! It wont boot!! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

villham308

Registered
I dont know what ive done!!!

How easy is it to break the CPU??? i was fixing a cooling duct while it was running and hit the heatsink... can that break the cpu??? it died and rebooted okay, but then i shut it down, took off the heatsink, took out the processor, cleaned em both and reapplied thermal compound to the cpu. Put it back together again, and now it wont boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What did i do wrong??? why wont it work??
I've cleared the cmos 4 times, rebooted about 20 but im not geting a single squeak from it....
I've reseated the memory, taken out all pci cards, only the HDD the floppy and the graphics card are connected. took the processor out again, cleaned it again etc, nothing... WTF?!?!? I mean the fans and everything start up, and so doses the hdd, but it doesnt go any further, i dont get the beep!!! I want to see something on my monitor!!!!!!
I'm working on my laptop now but i NEED my pc. Just had everything up and running smoothely. I was about to invest in some more fans so i can start overclocking it more, but now... Its an Athlon XP1600+ by the way...

Help someone, any thing i havent thought of??? or am i screwed? I'm at university at the moment, so i cant treally afford to go out and just get another CPU!

Help!

Willem. :(

Last edited:
Take a good look at the core with a magnifying glass and see if you can see any damage to the surface. If it is chipped in any way, then that could be the reason.

One thing I would try...Take the MB out of the case and try test running it. Could be something has jarred it and it is grounding on the case somewhere.

Good luck
Al

THanks,

had a look at the core before i reaplied the thermal stuff to it. i need to get some arctic silver, but $$... you know. Anyway, ill try testing it. I hope it'll work then!

Otherwise has anyone else got any ideas??

Thanks

Willem. :confused:

okay, well that didnt work...

removed everything from the case, put it back together, yet still no boot up.
Re-checked the core, and the rest of the cpu, looks completely clean.
Damn it!!! guess im gonna have to get another one now.

Have any of you guys ever had anything like this happen? it'd be nice to know im not the only fool out there...

Oh well, guess ill be staying in for the next few weeks......

!%*&@~# (lots of naughty words):mad: :argue: :mad:

hmmm...

thanks anyway.

Willem.

One more thing to try. Long shot.

Take a qtip soaked in alcohol and go through ALL the pits between the L bridges on the cpu. Just in the chance that something got in one of them.

Back