• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP K7S5A Pro 5.0 BIOS Flashing Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Ok, I wanted to flash my BIOS on my mobo. I read the FAQs above but I still got problems.

Ok, I downloaded and formatted a disk with the Dr. DOS program like the FAQ says. I also downloaded Cheapoman's bios for my mobo. I put the new bios rom and AMI flash utility on the newly formatted dos disk. So I reboot and boot from the disk.

I get my problem once I run the ami program. Heres what the screen says when I get the error.

A:\>AMINF335.EXE
DOS/4G Protected Mode Run-time Version 2.01a
Copyright (c) Tenberry Software, Ink. 1996
  • Chipset type - SiS SiS/SB
  • Flash Part - PMC29F002T_V2
>Error 2 - File does not exist

Where the ">" symbol is a red arrow pointing that way was there. I dont know what I did wrong, I have never had a BIOS flashing problem with any of my other MOBOs... Can someone help me?

repo man11

My first thought is that you mistakenly typed the BIOS file name incorrectly. The easiest way to be sure is to type in A:\dir. That will display the contents of the disk, and then you can write the file name down, and be sure you haven't accidentally substituted an o for a zero or something like that.

OP
SniperXX

SniperXX

I didnt even get to the part where I type the file name in.... All I type was dir to check the files (they were there and showed up) then I executed the AMI flash program. Any more ideas?

repo man11

Maybe the version of AMI Flash you have is corrupted somehow. I'd try downloading it again.

Maybe that motherboard has a jumper that you have to change to allow BIOS flashing? I know there are a few out there like that.

OP
SniperXX

SniperXX

I tryed AMINF336 also. I got the 1st one from the ECS and the 2nd one from ocworkbench I think. The jumper idea makes sense. I will have to look around and see if I can find on or find my manual.

OP
SniperXX

SniperXX

The manual talks about using WinFlash and it being on the cd. The problem is that this is my backup board and I am not sure where the CD is. Does anyone have a copy of winflash that will work for ECS?

repo man11

Winflash is for flashing from within Windows, correct? I personally wouldn't want the increased risk of flashing the BIOS with such a large OS loaded.

Here is a link to the Cheepoman's BIOS files, and the AMI flash utility. Since it is right alongside the modded BIOSs, it should be correct and work.
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/k7s5abios/cheepobios.htm

I'd grab another floppy, start from the beginning, and try again.

Here is a link to ECS's version of Winflash, in case you want to try it anyway. http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/winFlash.html

OP
SniperXX

SniperXX

I got the AMI flash utility too, aurg. I got it form that site with the bios. Then I found a newer version on the ECS site. When I run winflash I get an error like right after the program starts to load up... :/ So I guess I gotta find the CD for my mobo. Lol. Thanks for all the help so far.

OP
SniperXX

SniperXX

No, I will give it a shot. Thats a good idea.

BTW: This is a fresh windows xp pro install. But I got SP2, could that be the prob with winflash not working correctly?

repo man11

I wouldn't think so, but who knows? My hunch is that the problem with AMI flash is caused by whatever is causing the problem with Winflash.

Has anyone reading this ever flashed the BIOS on one of these boards?

repo man11

I didn't mention this before, I thought one of the other two utilities you've tried would eventually work.

But what the heck, give uniflash a try. Can't hurt, and it might work.

JDXNC

I have flashed a few of the older K7S5A's but I haven't done any of the 5.0's. I would assume they are similar. I downloaded a cd iso that had the ami flash utility and a bunch of cheapoman bios'es as well as ECS bios's. You boot from it and gives you a menu for which bios want to flash and it does it, really simple. I just don't know if it works for the 5.0's. I know it works on the 1.x and 3.x boards.