• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Looking for best CPU for NF7-S 2.0 Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiahXGaming

Registered
I have the Abit NF7-S 2.0 mobo that I had a Barton 2500+ (overclocked to 2.4ghz in my watercooled case) in. After 2+ years I think the CPU has finally died, so I was wondering if it was still best to replace it with the same chip or if there is a better choice now.

If you know where to get another reasonably that would help too.

TIA !

Clockwork_Apple

I'd move on from that motherboard.

You could keep your RAM, graphics and probably PSU and upgrade to socket 939. A cheap AGP board, and a cheap X2 or Opteron is a good upgrade path :)

OP
M

MiahXGaming

Registered
If I upgrade the mobo and CPU, I am going to look for the most bang for my buck like I did last time when I bought this setup. The most overclockable combo.

I was happy with the prior performance however, not a PC gamer anymore, and was hoping for less hassle (not having to reinstall XP). I have a lot of biz apps and so forth.

Last edited:

shadowdr

You would not necessarily have to reinstall, I am still using the same XP install from my NF7. I just did a repair install when I moved to a 754 and again when I went to a 939 (I also had a drive Ghosted with all my data, just in case) . Of coarse it is always best to reinstall clean but I kept much of the hardware during the moves.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
A mobile Athlon XP 2600+ is IMO the best cpu for any enthusiast socket A motherboard.

OP
M

MiahXGaming

Registered
benbaked said:
A mobile Athlon XP 2600+ is IMO the best cpu for any enthusiast socket A motherboard.

Why, I don't think it will OC as high as the 2500. Am I wrong?

The Coolest

If you get one of the good ones, it will hit around 2.5GHz and maybe even more with enough juice and good cooling.

Moto7451

Senior Something
You're probably better off with a K8 based system, but I believe newegg has some low voltage durons left over that overclock pretty well.

cozee

Registered
benbaked said:

I have one of these for sale with unlocked multi its just ripped mp3 to an ipod all its life PM me

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
I have a couple of Mobile XP (Barton) cpus (2500 & 2600) that did 2.4GHz @ ~1.65v and 2.5GHz @ ~1.85v. Never was able to hit higher, but they were also never pushed above 1.9v. Really a Mobile Barton is the best thing for that setup... no better Socket A chip was ever manufactured.

If you're interested in such a cpu, please PM me. Both have been recently tested. :thup:

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
MiahXGaming said:
Why, I don't think it will OC as high as the 2500. Am I wrong?

The mobiles ran at a lower stock vcore of 1.45v or 1.35v based upon if it was a 45w or 35w model respectively. The 2500+ and the rest of the desktop Bartons are 65w chips, generally the mobiles run cooler and have more overclocking headroom then their desktop cousins. Additionally, the multiplier on all mobile A-XPs is unlocked. Even though they are rated for only 133 MHz FSB the mobile Bartons will often do close to double that, handling up to 250 MHz on some motherboards. Oh yeah, the mobile Bartons also have a maximum rated temperature of 100C whereas the desktop Bartons have a maximum rated temp of 85C.

IMO they are some of the best processors that AMD has ever made.

ps2cho

If you have the money, I would suggest upgrading to a cheap X2 system. You can have my exact AMD computer rig ~$375! (excluding monitor, HDD, DVD, case and PSU) and it would blow your socket A system away.