• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me build an overclocking monster! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

instylz

Registered
Hey guys this is my first post so take it easy on me ;) First off I had an Athlon 2200+ a little over a year ago overclocked it (had a lot of fun in the process....hehe) then decided to part it out because at the time I needed the money. I then financed a Dell system which is a Dimension 4500 with an Intel 2.4 processor(533fsb). I now want to dabble into overclocking again and want to build a new system with some of my old parts. I will be keeping the CPU as well as two hd's my Radeon 9700pro,SB Audigy 2, DVD and CDR Drive. I know I need a new tower,ps,mobo,heatsink,fans, and memory since I don't think the crucial memory I have can handle the OC'ing. (512MB DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Non-parity • CT289645). I call upon you guys to help me build this system as I've been away for so long I don't know what new things are out and what I should be looking out for. Also how far might I be able to push my machine? (est based upon people with the same chip as I know all are different). I am thinking about going with the SLK line of heatsinks with a Delta fan like what I had on my Athlon...(LOUD AS HELL!...haha) Well I leave it to the experts now....again please take it easy on me ;)

Last edited:

9mmCensor

Disabled
Welcome to the forums!

So do you want a new CPU or are you staying witht the old P4, if not AMD or Intel? And whats your budget for all that?

OP
I

instylz

Registered
Thanks for the quick reply. :) Sorry I didn't include it in my first thread but I'm going to keep the chip. I hear the dell chips overclock quite good. As far as a budget don't really have one. I mean I don't want to spend a crap load of money. I'll just see what you guys come up with. Thanks :)

9mmCensor

Disabled
Power Supply - PC Power and Cooling (if you can justify that kind of money) or an Antec
Case - A tower that suits your astetic desires
Heatsink - Thermalright SP-94 and a delta if you are deaf.
Mobo - Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Memory Prefermally a gig of dual channel.

OP
I

instylz

Registered
Thanks 9mmCensor. Hey whats a good fan that won't kill my ears but still has great capabilities in the OC arena? What would you recommend?

Grandpa Dan

If it's a pentium based system my choices would be:

P4 2.4c or wait a few weeks for the prescotts,

Abit IS or IC mobo or ASUS P4P or P4C mobo,

Tower-personal preference

PSU: You choose, just don't go cheap, 400 watt minimum.

Mushkin or Adata ram, 1gb(2x512), pc3500 or above with the tightest timings you can get.

Air cooling I like either the SLK line or the Zahlman 7000 line.

If adding extra fans get the biggest(120mm) that will fit the intended location to help noise reduction.

Good luck,
GD

Edit: if keeping the chip nothing changes as that chip will work on those mobo's and the first release prescott's will be 478 pin so you can upgrade later.

9mmCensor

Disabled
instylz said:
Thanks 9mmCensor. Hey whats a good fan that won't kill my ears but still has great capabilities in the OC arena? What would you recommend?

A highspeed fan (Panaflow Ultra or Tornado) with a fan controller, that way you can plays some games and get some good framespersecond and then turn it down for some quite forums browsing or sleeping.