• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose a video capture card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jspam

I bought a Pinnacle Systems PCTV, but after a ton of playing around I couldn't get it to work. The WDM Video Capture Driver would not start in WinXP Pro (new & old versions, & in multiple PCI slots). I phoned Pinnacle and they basically told me to give up.

Well, I have RMA'd it to newegg and have decided to purchase either an ATI TV Wonder VE, or a Hauppauge WinTV GO.

Which one do you think I should go with? I am leaning toward ATI right now, but that could change easily (note the ATI video card in my profile :D).

OP
jspam

jspam

Well, I have decided to purchase both cards. So far I have only tested the ATI. The quality of the recordings seem good, but I will have to wait for the hauppauge results. The only gripe that I have is that the ATI software for windows XP is horrible. The video was constantly scrambed. As soon as I tried adobe premier I realized that I wasn't doing anything wrong, but the (edit: capture) software was junk. I downloaded a trial version of CyberLinks PowerVCR II 3.0 and feel that it is a good program for basic capture jobs.

Last edited:

Maximouse

jspam said:
Well, I have decided to purchase both cards. So far I have only tested the ATI. The quality of the recordings seem good, but I will have to wait for the hauppauge results. The only gripe that I have is that the ATI software for windows XP is horrible. The video was constantly scrambed. As soon as I tried adobe premier I realized that I wasn't doing anything wrong, but the software was junk. I downloaded a trial version of CyberLinks PowerVCR II 3.0 and feel that it is a good program for basic capture jobs.

If you go to the ATI website and look for drivers for that card there is a Beta version of MMC and the WDM drivers that fix the scrambled video problem. I have been using it for a couple of months with no problems:)

I prefer Powervcr II or better yet, Windvr.

I also have a Pinnacle card and their support S**CKS!
I found 3rd party WDM drivers for that card that worked, but would not recomend that card to anyone
:(

Al

Last edited:

EyelessFace

I have the TV-Wonder VE, and I love the thing. Smooth video, and the software that came with it can record in quite a few different formats. I would recommend the TV-Wonder if you wish to capture anything using the S-video standard, as the VE does not come with a S-Video Input

Last edited: