• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose! Steelseries 5Hv2? or X-fi/3.5mm headset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

echopapa

Registered
Just wanting some input from people who have used either or both. Im currently debating on which setup to go with.
X-fi extreme gamer 7.1 soundcard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102006&cm_re=x_fi-_-29-102-006-_-Product
with a 3.5mm headset like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826402014&Tpk=ATH-AD700
(budget of about $100 for the headset)

OR
the Steelseries 5hv2 USB headphones
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=steelseries_5h_v2-_-26-249-016-_-Product

I realize that the x-fi and headset will be more expensive. Bascially I want to be able to hear people coming up behind me in COD/CS type games. Currently i get knifed in the back a little too often without hearing a thing with my onboard sound/sony mdrv600s(which are a bit worn out, Ive had them about 4 years).

Any input on these setups that anyone has would be appreciated. Im a bit skeptical on if a good USB headset can match the sound quality of a pci soundcard with a good headset.

OP
E

echopapa

Registered
also i have a rather large head. So i didnt know if anyone had tried out the Steelseries 5hv2 headsets and could comment on how they fit? and the comfort level.

Aynjell

ATH, hands down. You won't hear any other recommendation from any of us except that the ATH is phenomenal for gaming.

four4875

if it's only going to be used with headhones, why do you need 7.1 channel? if a higher quality 2 channel card can be had for the same price, it seems like that would be the better choice as long as you dont want to keep the upgrade path open for a full surround speaker setup or 5.1 / 7.1 headphones.

jhanby

if it's only going to be used with headhones, why do you need 7.1 channel? if a higher quality 2 channel card can be had for the same price, it seems like that would be the better choice as long as you dont want to keep the upgrade path open for a full surround speaker setup or 5.1 / 7.1 headphones.

I agree whole heartedly with this.

It may be a bit out of your price range, but if you are only considering headphones, look into the Asus Zonar Essence STX.

It will blow any of your "gaming" cards out of the water in terms of sound quality.

Aynjell

I agree whole heartedly with this.

It may be a bit out of your price range, but if you are only considering headphones, look into the Asus Zonar Essence STX.

It will blow any of your "gaming" cards out of the water in terms of sound quality.

If you game, I'd probably go with the X-Fi, simply for the utility as a gaming aid. If it's all music, that's another story.

Last edited: