• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me find a laptop, the options are frustrating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

My gf and I are searching for a laptop to replace her Netbook (Atom-class 12") and my "laptop" which has an AMD Neo and a 15 inch screen. They're both slow pigs in Windows, which we both need. I tried finding a laptop that would suit our needs but every option that I came across had some sort of dealbreaker.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• Decent screen. Not fantastic, but not ****ty. 1080p preferred.
  • Broadwell or Skylake preferably, mostly for battery life. Would like to be able to go at least 3-4 hours off the wall.
  • Integrated graphics is sufficient. No need for a mobile GPU.
  • 8GB RAM
  • SSD

Budget is a concern, we're not looking to spend a huge amount, but it seems that to get what I'm looking for would be $800+ and have a CPU from AMD/Nvidia that we neither want nor need. Surely there's a better solution out there but I'm just not seeing it currently for some reason. Exact GPU generation isn't a dealbreaker so long as battery life is there.

Am I just being too picky or unreasonable?

Last edited:
You're probably goign to be better off finding an i3 or i5 without the SSD and buying one on your own. An ssd in a laptop from the mfr tends to push it into the "performance" tier where prices are higher and discrete graphics cards are standard. Pick up a 256gb BX200 for $65 and you should be able to check all of your boxes for under $500.

I would recommend the Lenovo 300s or the 500 series. The 500 is more budget friendly but the 300s is more slim, versatile and faster (It is also smaller).

Back