• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me find a new gaming monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Am I correct in assuming your intended usage is gaming?

What graphics card is in the system this will be used with?

Am I correct in assuming your intended usage is gaming?

What graphics card is in the system this will be used with?

Yes, and watching movies. I have a GTX 970 overclocked. I'll probably get a 1060 once the prices drop a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, since G-sync is so expensive and I'm not going to get 144 Hz at 2kp, what can I do to prevent screen tearing? Is it possible to enable vsync at a specific framerate and reduce the refresh rate to match? Say I can maintain 90 FPS but not 144, can I chose a custom resolution with 90 Hz and lock vsync at that?

- - - Updated - - -

Same one but $100 cheaper. Amazon > Newegg 100% of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/PX277-27-inch-2560x1440-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B01HPDAF68

Last edited:
Yes, and watching movies. I have a GTX 960 overclocked. I'll probably get a 1060 once the prices drop a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, since G-sync is so expensive and I'm not going to get 144 Hz at 2kp, what can I do to prevent screen tearing? Is it possible to enable vsync at a specific framerate and reduce the refresh rate to match? Say I can maintain 90 FPS but not 144, can I chose a custom resolution with 90 Hz and lock vsync at that?

- - - Updated - - -

Same one but $100 cheaper. Amazon > Newegg 100% of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/PX277-27-inch-2560x1440-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B01HPDAF68
2Kp? YOu mean 2560x1440? (2K is 2048x1080 for the record - I don't care what newegg says).

That is a different monitor (brand)... and yes its $100 cheaper.

What is a better bet 4k res or 144 hz? It seems like it is one or the other.

That is correct.. no 4K over 60 Hz this moment.

The answer to that question depends on you really... do you want 4K res (and a 1080 or better to drive it), or do you want high refresh rate and 2560x1440? I'd choose the latter. This way I don't have to be bleeding edge high end card for great fps. Look up reviews and see. ;)

Honestly, on a 960, I don't know why you're looking at anything over 1080p...
oy.. didn't catch tbat. SPL, if you want to play above 1080, you are going to need a new card. A 970 won't drive a 2560x1440 monitor much longer honestly.

Does Dynamic Scaling Resolution at 4k accurately reflect the type of FPS you would get with actual 4K? Because I set DSR to 4k in game and noticed my average FPS drops to around 40 with all settings maxed.

Also, I plan to get a 1070 eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, on a 960, I don't know why you're looking at anything over 1080p...

Does Dynamic Scaling Resolution at 4k accurately reflect the type of FPS you would get with actual 4K? Because I set DSR to 4k in game and noticed my average FPS drops to around 40 with all settings maxed.

Also, I plan to get a 1070 eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

You said 960 earlier, but same answer...

On a 1070, look 1440p, not 4K.

Back