• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me find topics for my final Java program in class...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Ok, I've got a request for some help. I'm starting work on my final project for my programming class at GMU, and it is to create a Java applet or appliction that acts as a translator for three languages. The easy part is that these are not like translating Englihs to Spanish, but simply translating basedo on an algorithm.

An example would be pig latin...I can design an algorithm that states if a word starts iwth a consonant, move it to the end of the word and add "ay"...

The key is that the language must use an algorithm for translation

Ofcourse, that can mean simple rules as well. For instance, I will most likely do english to binary ascii, and possibly hAxor language which uses certain rules. (i.e. change a to 4)

I'd like to find some really interesting things to do, and something possibly useful. Like, it'd be great if Klingon was just taking english words and running an algorithm on them...

So, I need three. I've got two that I can use, but I need atleast one, and I'm not yet decided on if I want ot use hAxor, so, lemme see what you got!

If you know of any ideas for translations based on algorithms, lemme know!

Mike
PS I know I can use a "key" to do some sort of encryption/decryption, and I may very well do this. Still, i am looking for actual languages/dialects that can be done with an algorithm such as pig latin.

Thanks in advance!

OP
Breadfan

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Pig latin was used an example, and when someone mentioned using it, the response from the professor was something to the effect of "that one's beaten to death". LOL :) So, not very original I guess.

I might just do an encrpytion scheme for the third one...unless I can think of something really original and neat...

Mike

Thelemac

Administratively Deficient
(I had a feeling that you had a reason for not using the pig :D)

Turn it into overclockerese?

Have it "overclock" any number that it encounters, maybe? And, uh, preface everything with a brand name? And translate everything into benchmarks? Hm, that actually sounds like a lot of work, so I don't know how feasible that would be. :D

ed8150

i like the h4x0r idea. you should have 2 versions of it though. the leet version and the 1337 version. the leet version would replace 4 for a , 3 for e ect. while the 1337 version would use all out 1337sp34k. h would equal |-| ect.