• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me finding mobile 7200 rpm external storage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

userwords

These are my preferences: In a size of a minimum of 3tb, with 4tb and 5tb being the best options but without blocking other sizes (as long as they are 3tb or more):

Mobile Storage powered through usb 3 or 3.1 type c, no power chords, with a 7200 rmp drive. I dont care if the drive is 2.5 or 3.5, though i think 3.5 cannot work like that except for the innov8. I also dont care if its a mobile storage product, or buying separately an appropiate external enclosure, then the drive.

If this is not possible, as in the range of 5400 rpm ive already selected some. I would better appreciate as a second option a 7200 rpm external storage with uasp. So not mobile, and with power chord if needed.

Good catch Scott, I missed it.
I'm expecting this is your only route, but I do not recall seeing a 3.5" enclosure without a secondary power cord.

Well as i said my 1st option, the one i prefer, would be a mobile (no power chord) usb 3 or higher, 7200 rpm drive of 4tb. That would be the best option.

However after lurking around my guess is that those will always be 2.5" drives and not 3.5" and all will also be 5400 rpm and not 7200 rpm. And that the reason for both is the same: power. Because feeding a 7200rpm 3.5" on a data connector was too much with usb 3.0 and usb c is launching now, so it is still not used in most drives. The one ive read is the seagate innov8 but price is outrageous. I prefer a cheaper option then scale after a while.

My second option is, in case the first is not possible, ditch the portability and go for a regular external drive with power chord, with 7200 rpm drive no matter which size 2.5 or 3.5, no matter if purely an external drive or buying the enclosure and the drive separately. However if im gonna ditch portability in this second option im looking to get something in exchange, so i would be looking for a fast drive, like for example seagate 6tb enterprise Nas, or maybe a 2 cheap but not bad st3000dm001. And in this second option i also will be looking for the enclosure to have the fastest Uasp mode.

So the main question is are there fast portable drives, because my guess is that when they ditch the power chord that also constraints the rpm, and the size (in terms of inches) of the drive, so that would be the reason they all seem to be 5400 rpm 2.5 drives. Except for the white elephant that is the new seagate innov8, maybe it would be an option if there where innov4 and innov6. Maybe they played like gpu manufacturers and launched the flagship first, and those will get launched at some point.

Last edited:
You won't find the capacity you're looking for in 2.5" and you'll be hard pressed to find a 3.5" drive you can power from the USB port.

Right now im looking at the Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4tb. Apparently they have stuffed 2 drives with 2tb each in Raid 0, so read write is like 230mbs which is way much faster than it would be a 7200 rpm drive ( those 2 drives are 5400 rpm). It is usb 3.0. And it powers in the usb 3 only. SO basically pinpoints most of my requirements. Price wise however looks overpriced but one way or another ill keep a look at that one. Of course you need something to back up whtever you have there because portable and raid 0 is calling for data loss.

Back