• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get my tbird to fly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elysium

First, here's my rig

Abit kt7a
2*128mb Apacer pc 133
Amd Thunderbird 1200 (9*133) Factory unlocked
Coolermaster (60*60*10mm) cpu fan
Plextor 16/10/40
Creative 12/36 DVD
SB Live! 1024
Billion ISDN card
Planet 10/100mb ethernet card
ATI Radeon 32mb ddr (165/330)
Aopen midi tower
300W PSU
Western Digital 60gb
Win 98se
Hansol 900P

Notes:

I have a 60*80*40 aliminium (that's what I think it is, don't think I got a silver:D ) rib that I don't know the brand on. I neither knows the name of my powersuply at the moment. But to the problem. I have problems oc'ing my cpu, it won't go up, it seems. I will post here asking question to you guys who hopefully have some solutions.

First problem/question is comming up at once... All help apriciated folks

Ely

OP
elysium

elysium

Ok, when I opened my case the other day, I saw some major problems for oc'ing at once. DUST! And plenty of it! My power suply fan was totally covered with it, and then I went on to the cpu... And welcome to the dust world forum. There was plenty as he.... Especially at the orb. How is the best way to clean the dust up, and what can I do to prevent this from
happening again. I have no fans in my case, exept the psu fan.

And one last thing; my orb are some bigger than my fan, should I upgrade my fan then, or?

Thank you very much for every reply!

Ely

PS! I shall try to post a pic of my rig tomorrow, but please answer before that:D

JAWS

What have you tried that didn't work?

Go into the Softmenu and CPUFSB+ and increase it to one. This should increase your FSB to 134. Make sure your FSB is set to 133/33.

OP
elysium

elysium

I have tried the following options:

10*133=1330 Finished SiSoft Sandra burn-in, but quits my games.
10*140=1400 Would'nt boot
9,5*133=Bootet Windows, but weren't stable enough

My FSB is set to 133/33

Thanks for the quick responce, but the most important in the "project" now would be how to remove the dust real well, cause it has some places sort of "burned" onto the orb, at least thats what I think it has. How do I remove it real good without water then...

Ely

JAWS

Compressed air works well for me. If your vacuum has a cleaning attachment, use that to suck the dust particles out of the air.

Have you increased your vcore any?

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
JAWS said:
Compressed air works well for me. If your vacuum has a cleaning attachment, use that to suck the dust particles out of the air.

Have you increased your vcore any?

Be careful there....vacuums tend to carry static electricity....bad for components. Take it outside with a can of compressed air and blow it out good. What kind of temps are you running?

JAWS

cw823 said:

Be careful there....vacuums tend to carry static electricity....bad for components. Take it outside with a can of compressed air and blow it out good. What kind of temps are you running?

Sorry, I meant using the attachment outside the case to catch the dust particles blown around by the compressed air. :p

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
JAWS said:

Sorry, I meant using the attachment outside the case to catch the dust particles blown around by the compressed air. :p

LOL. Figured you were misinterpreted. I figured ya just stick the vacuum in there and try to move it around so the brush touches everything. :D

JAWS

cw823 said:

LOL. Figured you were misinterpreted. I figured ya just stick the vacuum in there and try to move it around so the brush touches everything. :D

ZAPP! LOL :)

Actually, the attachment came in handy getting to the corners of the case. I used to have a problem with dust until I switched my fans around to create a positive pressure. Negative pressure for me had resulted in my case acting like a vacuum cleaner resulting in dust inside the case.

elysium, since you have no fans, I just suggest cleaning every three moths, or so.

OP
elysium

elysium

I have tried raising the vcore a bit, but it did'nt help me then at least. My temps in vCooler are:

idle:

CPU: 27
SYS: 37

load: (ca. I will check these numbers when I take a shower, running Prime 95 the time I use (20-30min))

CPU: 40
SYS: 58

But about the dust: I will post a picture about how it looks tomorrow, but any ideas until then? It has sort of burned into the orb, and I expect I would have to clean it real up when the easter vacation comes. But any ideas on what to use, and how to prevendt it in the future?

Thanks

Ely

JAWS

With my KT7A, I could get my 1.2 to 1.4 with the max vcore allowed by the board. (1.85) If your hs/fan can handle it, bump it up a little!

OP
elysium

elysium

Well, I would guess my orb could handle it, but I'm not sure about the fan, it's pretty small. Should I see if I can make room for a 80*80mm fan?

Ely

JAWS

elysium said:
Well, I would guess my orb could handle it, but I'm not sure about the fan, it's pretty small. Should I see if I can make room for a 80*80mm fan?

Ely

If you have an orb, be very careful when overclocking. Be sure to watch your temps. The orb might be the culprit.

OP
elysium

elysium

JAWS said:

If you have an orb, be very careful when overclocking. Be sure to watch your temps. The orb might be the culprit.

Eh... this brings me on to another question which concerns my english knowledge: Is'nt "orb" the word people use for the aliminium/cu/silver thing that is between the cpu and the fan? Or am I badly mistaken?

Ely

OP
elysium

elysium

load 30min sisoft burn in= memory, file system, archimetic and multimedia

SYS: 47 (went down to 41deg as soon as i turned burn-in off)to 38 after 1,5min

load 30min sisoft burn in= archimetic and multimedia

SYS: 49

But can these be correct? Is the system hotter than the cpu, and then, why does the case cool faster than the cpu?

Ely

JAWS

elysium said:

Eh... this brings me on to another question which concerns my english knowledge: Is'nt "orb" the word people use for the aliminium/cu/silver thing that is between the cpu and the fan? Or am I badly mistaken?

Ely

What you're referring to is called the heat sink. There are other cpu coolers called "orb's” They are not recommended for overclocking. (lower end models)

JAWS

elysium said:
load 30min sisoft burn in= memory, file system, archimetic and multimedia

SYS: 47 (went down to 41deg as soon as i turned burn-in off)to 38 after 1,5min

load 30min sisoft burn in= archimetic and multimedia

SYS: 49

But can these be correct? Is the system hotter than the cpu, and then, why does the case cool faster than the cpu?

Ely

Where are you getting these temp readings? Via Monitoring Hardware or Sandra?

OP
elysium

elysium

I am getting the temps in vCooler, since the trial period of my mbm went out.

Thanks for cleaning up my english, I shall try remember it:D

Can Sandra also read of temps? How?

Ely

JAWS

No, Sandra is very inaccurate when it comes to temps. Did you get an Abit cd with your mobo? It will have Via Monitoring Hardware on it. (I think that's the name of it)

OP
elysium

elysium

Ok, would the Via monitoring hardware be a good replacement for mbm (does it give accurat temps)?

And folks, all help is apriciated here, feel VERY free to post recommandations +++

Ely