• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me lower decibels...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperTuner12010

Been a while since I have posted, a toddler tends to do that...

Have had more time on my computer recently and the noise is really getting to me. There are a few issues I'd like to fix. Wanted to get some help with a few questions and maybe recommendations.

I have a 750d with a UT60 360mm radiator on the front with 3x AP15's in push. On the back side I have 3x CM R4 which are really loud in comparison to the AP15's. A fan controller being used as a hub, since the CM fans are loud even at lower volts, so I just leave them 100%.

-My goal is to replace the 3x CM fans with AP fans as well and replace the fan controller with something I can control via PMW. I can buy 3 more AP15's and use the Phanteks fan hub and control the 3 pin fans to an extent via PMW. I also thought about buying 6x of the newer PMW 2150rpm gentle typhoons and then using a regular PMW hub to lower their speed to around 1800rpm. My concern with that is the PMW "clicking", not sure if it would be a problem or not but my goal is to lower dB not raise them with annoying clicks.

-I would buy rubber gaskets to mount between rad and fans as well as fans to case for radiator as well as all case fans.

-Secondly and probably my biggest problem is that my DDC pump is not decoupled. It has the foam pad, but because of tension on output hose I had to put screws in the bottom. I have seen a few different methods. The Shoggy Sponge for one, but I worry I will have the same tension issue that I did with the original pad. I was looking at the EK heat sink for the DDC, not only would it ensure the motor stays cool, but the bottom mounts are separated by rubber mounts which should effectively decouple the pump and reduce the noise from the pump. Probably replace the pump top as well for the performance increase.

-Lastly I would replace all the case fans with similar RPM as the AP15's as the Phanteks fan controller scales better with more fans.

-GPUs are really quiet, even turning off pump and all fans, machine at idle I can barely hear them. Whether they see water or not will be determined later.

Anything I might be missing? Any ideas on how to further reduce sound? Thank you :thup:

EK heatsink:
52c2f8391cffb-EK-DDC-Heatsink-Housing_Black_back_590.jpg

Sounds like you've got it pretty well planned out to me.

If you're worried about the PWM click get the Noctua industrialPPC PWM fans, they're click free.

Sounds like you've got it pretty well planned out to me.

If you're worried about the PWM click get the Noctua industrialPPC PWM fans, they're click free.

Wow just looked those fans up at 40$cnd those are pricey , I'm shopping for rad fans my self but can't justify that when I need 5 . idk anything about "clicking" but I'm looking at the corsair sp120 quiet on a pwn hub running off the fan header.

The Corsair SP are garbage PWM fans. If you run too many off the same splitter, they won't work.

Is it a problem with the Fan or is the pwn signal not powerful enough ? Because it it a digital signal (on or off don't know how it wouldn't work)(Does this happen with hubs that get the power from the PSU and just uses the pwn signal for switching)

Last edited:
Is it a problem with the Fan or is the pwn signal not powerful enough ? Because it it a digital signal (on or off don't know how it wouldn't work)(Does this happen with hubs that get the power from the PSU and just uses the pwn signal for switching)

It is a problem with the fan, other fans work fine in the same scenario.

This happens whether you're running a powered hub or just a splitter cable.

It is a problem with the fan, other fans work fine in the same scenario.

This happens whether you're running a powered hub or just a splitter cable.
Thanks for this info looks like I will need to build a PWM amp with a 555 timer chip and a cap if I want to use those fans .

No problem, I try to steer anyone that I can away from those fans because of this.

Back