• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me mod these old heatsinks to my 6600GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KJSatz

Hey guys! In my quest for more adequate GPU cooling, I've had a long journey. Note that if you're in a hurry or don't want to hear the tale of my video card's cooling, you can skip the next two paragraphs and cut to the chase with me ;).

It all started when the MSI 60mm fan on my PCI-E 6600GT started to buss eraticly. I contacted MSI about it, and they sent me a new HSF unit in the mail free of charge. Very nice of them. There was a cm^2 of white thermal junk on the HSF they mailed me (it was covered by a small plastic box thing), but the memory area was devoid of paste. Now granted, they sell 7800s without any RAM sinks, but I just couldn't stand to have my memory having a bad thermal interface! So I put some AS5 on the memory chips (after cleaning up the old thermal stuff from all of the memory chips and the GPU core itself), and I applied the heatsink. Hurrah.

At that point, I had two stock heatsinks, one with a messed up fan, and another on my 6600GT. Now noise was still a concern with this fan; those 60mm fans really need to spin to cool well. I took the original heatsink (MSI said I could keep it) and ripped off the plastic thing on top of the fins, as well as the busted 60mm fan (I actually unscrewed them, but ripped out is more dramatic). Then I lapped it (rather badly, but it was better than no lapping---there was a wierd powder coating on the heatsink) and slapped it onto my 6600GT with a 7v'd 92mm fan blowing down on it.

Now we come to today. Inspired by tales of desktop HSFs being modified to cool video cards, I went out to the used computer store about a mile from my house (actually there's a long story here---if you want to hear it ask) and bought the four best-looking heatsinks around, with my memory and GPU core in mind. What I want is suggestions as to which ones I should utilize (maybe chopping one up with my dremmel for memory cooling) in what fashion, or any other advice on the matter.

The plan is to clean them up, lap the GPU core one, lap the memory one, cut up the memory one, drill holes in bottom of the core one that match the holes in the 6600GT, and put a bolt through this hole, through a rubber washer, through the card, through another rubber washer, and finally through a bolt (except x2 because there are two mounting holes). As for attaching the sinks to the memory, I'd prefer to somehow attach them to the core one, rather than gluing them to the memory chips themselves (and just use a little AS5 on the memory). Obviously this is up for suggestions.

So let's take a look at the relevant pics.

There you can see my current GPU cooling, the tops of the new heatsinks, and their bottoms. I got two of the top one (with the black fan mount on it), just because it looked effective, and they had two of them. $1 each. The only thing I know about them is the bottom/right one. It had two lables on it with product numbers, both of which indicated it was used to cool a Gateway PIII 866MHz at some point in its poor poor existance. Those numbers were 4500658 and 2511656.

Thank you all for any help, especially those of you who have done this mod yourselves.

The one with the black shroud is from early in the the Thermaltake Volcano line, probably a Volcano 5. It's got the densist/longest fin layout. You've got plenty of surface area to work with there. If you've got a fan with some muscle behind it and room to have them on your card those would be the ones I would suggest to use as sinks. The smallest one in the pic has a good number of fins and is shorter so should be a lot less likely to crowd out anything else in your system, but you could always use the Volcano sinks and then cut their height down individually until they just fit in the system to get absolute maximum coverage. It might be overkill for the memory but then that's why this place is the forums for overkillers.com. That third sink is just ugly. Put a bag over it's head and only let it come out at night when it's less likely to scare children.

Yeah, good points (and thanks for the history on the Volcano). Height really isn't an issue, as I don't have any PCI cards and I don't plan to have any PCI cards. However, I was thinking about making the air flow parallel to the bottom of the case...it's sort of hard to explain, but you can see in this pic that vent on the side panel to the VGA. I was thinking about using that as intake or exhaust, with the opposite (either intake or exhaust) going out into the main case area. I can reverse the airflow easily, so that isn't really an issue. In any case, I'd prefer to have an airflow path like that so that I can actually utilize that little vent. Ugh ramble ramble ramble! I love overkill, so I guess the move overkilltacular option is to cut one of the Volcanoes in half and use those for the memory (there are two pairs of two memory chips), and then use the other one for the core? Space permitting. Oh, lateral space on the card's surface was probably what you were talking about anyway. As I said, ramble ramble ramble. Thanks again.

OK its cool that ur wanting to get some better cooling for that card...

Now im not familiar with the PCI-E 6600gt but do they have an HSI bridge? I dont think the do but if they do you are going to want a seperate hs for that....

Other than that mod the Valcano 5 to fit on there, ur not going to need active cooling on the ram it runs cool... even my 6600gt's ram at 1282mhz stays below 100*F bare. But if you want active cooling on it go for it, i kno the ram chips are close to the actual core and the core is above the ram so its not like 1 hs is going to work for everything... only prob with wanting to use seperate hs's is that ur limiting the space for your main hs on the core...

Have fun happy modding!

(LOL the hs on the right in both the pics i actually have that also along with a valcano 5.... the one on the right came out of a Gateway p3 733mhz comp :beer:)

EDIT lol damnit u beat me 2 where the one on the right came from....rrr well i got it out of a gateway 733mhz comp

Yeah I'm gonna take out my 6600GT and look at it. I'm not gonna take off the stock heatsink yet...probably not even this month as I'm going out of town this Sunday. But I can still dream ;).

Back