• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick some RAM for my dad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

We are looking to build a new system and are not quite sure eveerything we want in it but basically I am an AMD fan but I am sure he will be fine with whatever as long as it works and isn't crappy slow. He has a P3 850 wth no more than 512MB of RAM and its ok but is dated and kind of slow for a number of things.

He basically uses the pc for the following in no particular order of frequency: browsing the internet, email, word processing, database, spreadsheets, printing documents (some pictures), scanning, and thats pretty much everything sometime solitaire :)

I've never bought any generic or brands like buffalo or pqi etc that I never heard of so I was thinking like corsair perhaps this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145579

cx323

that should be fine, but it might be a little overkill for what your dad does.

OP
S

StoneRyno

cx323 said:
that should be fine, but it might be a little overkill for what your dad does.

Yep I wqas thinking that too but he said he wanted 2GB of RAM. We are really not sure yet on everything. We looked at dell for him too but the basic home pc they offer only comes with 256MB of ram a 40GB HD and mobo with video and audio integrated and probably not that great of either of them. They want $299. But he also said he wants a DVD drive of some sort so that adds to it. Plus when you account for upgrading RAM either through them or newegg or whatnot that adds more to the price. Dell wants $80 more to add 1GB and didn't offer more so I am not sure if 1GB is the max supported by their mobo. What we are basically trying to work out is will we end up spending just as much getting a dell as we would buying all the parts and putting it together ourselves. But I guess all that really is best for another thread to discuse the over all system. I just wanted to give an idea of what we have been thinking about. And get some feedback on RAM since its really the only component I wasn't sure about. I like tweeking and overclocking my stuff so when it comes to making a basic everyday normal use pc its hard to decide what is best.