• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me! Please :) x4 965be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trooph

Hi im new to this forums :)

To begin with my specs are:
AMD Phenom X4 965 BE
Asus M4a77td (Last bios was released in 2010 and its already inslated)
OCZ 600 psu
Ram Patriot 1333 CL9 8bg (4x2gb) PSD32G13332
Gpu Sapphire HD7850 2gb oc@1050/1300
CPU cooling Scythe Grand kama cross rev.B with Arctic silver 5 thermal paste
Idle temps with room temp@ 35degrees Celsuis are 39

Now my issue is that i cant get this CPU stable even at 3,7 and i want it to run at 3,8 for a 24/7 oc

I tried different approaches, increasing X didnt get me anywhere, lowering X and increasing FSB..nowhere. i cant get it stable at 3,7 with a lot of vcore, and trust me on that i did add bit after bit with each crash. Most of the time PC just restarts without BSOD.
I tried lower RAM clocks and Higher.
Below i attach my current BIOS settings which get me instant restart in prime95 with SMALL FFTs test.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zksqaplcqsw2y14/IMAG0314.jpg
Maybe some advices? Im not a total noob i was OCing before. This rig is 3 years old and i just want to get as much of it as i can before i upgrade.

Please help
Tom

Last edited:
Idle temps are not very helpful, normally, unless they are obviously too high. What we need you to do is install HWMonitor and CPU-z. Do a stress test with settings at the last known stable level. With HWMonitor open on the desktop, run the Prime95 blend stress test for 20 minutes or for as long as it will run. Watch the maximum "core" temp column and the maximum "CPU" temp column. Note that the CPU temp may show up as CPU, CPUTIN or one of the TMPINx lines. Report back to us with this temp info, preferably attached pics of the HWMOnitor interface.

Please attach pics directly to your posts instead of linking them. This is how:

There is a built-in forum tool for attaching pics with posts. First crop and then save the pic to disc. Cropping is important if the image includes a lot of irrelevant surrounding desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this if you have Vista or later. If not, you can use the built-in Windows keyboard strokes or download a freeware cropper/capture tool. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

If You need anything else I will attach it tomorrow morning :)
Stable 24/7 Oc right now is 3.6 with stock vcore. And no matter how much i increase vcore and other settings i cant go higher than that.
Usualy i crashed like 58 degrees celsius with 3.7+
WHat i dont understand is why my idle temps are so high! If those were lower it might oc a bit better...
Cheers for quick reply. I

Have a good night :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 72
Have you given it a good cleaning lately? Your temps are at their max right now.

Agreed. All temp related. Check your mount. That cooler has a crappy mount system unless you're using the optional bolt through kit.

As the others have said, your instability would seem to be caused by high core temps. Generally, instability starts to set in with that family of CPUs when core temps reach approximately 55c. Adding more vcore just runs the temp up higher so you got to get those temps down. Tell us about your case ventilation. What is the make and model of your case? How many push fans and how many pull fans do you have installed and how large are they? 80mm? 92mm? 120mm? Good case ventilation is as important as having a good CPU cooler so that your cooler isn't using hot air to do the cooling.

From what I read his room temps are 35c so it's going to be difficult to cool that chip when overclocked.

Good call, Drake! I saw that earlier today and it slipped my mind.

trooph, where do you live that it's so hot in your computer room? Man, you need AC bad.

Good morning Guys.
I live in Poland. Its pretty damn hot summer this year...
My case is Coolermaster HAF 922 with 2 pull fans 230mm top and 80mm rear 1 push fan 230mm front.
Case is always clean. Im dusting off dust filters on regular basis interior never has much dust in as i really take care of that pc :)

What i noticed yesterday was that my socket temps were darn high 43 while idle..

WHat i dont understand is why my idle temps are so high! If those were lower it might oc a bit better... << I live in Poland. Its pretty damn hot summer this year...

You show core temps of 61c and most of us have found that the Deneb processor can go very unstable at about 55c or begin to go unstable. So as has already been stated, your cpu and case are likely too hot.

Then try and up the cpu speed and there is the added tendency to become even more unstable. Often increased cpu speed calls for more Vcore or voltage to the processor and there comes 'more' heat.

The simple and direct answer is that you are in a hot area with your PC in there with you. Air cooling needs cool air to cause transfer from one hot area to another area outside the case. If it is hot outside the case then there is little hope for good cooling no matter what.

Come winter you may be able to overclock when the cool air comes again, but mostly I see nothing that will help but the PC in a cooler area with good transfer of heat from the cpu to a cooler and that heat in cooler removed to outside the computer case.
RGone...

Thank You for all the replies.
I will now leave it as it is 3.6 with stock vcore.
HAve a good sunday and i will be back when i upgrade my pc :)

TBH i think that the culprit is MB...its pretty old last bios update was in 2010. And its not designed to OC.. Temps inside the case are around 30-32 degrees.
ALso its not usually that hot in this part of the world, so air conditioning isnt so popular here especialy that kind that U instal in ur home or a flat :)

Anyways a question if i may... Are those benchmarks and test that i can find online are really that reliable? Im looking for an upgrade when i regain my health and im struggling as im not the richest person and i cant decide to postpone upgrade and gather more $ for Intel buid or stay with AMD with 8350 or maybe a steamroller... I will be doing some YT movies and games recording maybe streaming if i get better connection.
Sorry for off topic :)

IF I lived in a location without air conditioning for home use, then I certainly would never go FX-8350. For the work and that is real work not gaming, you would do well with the FX-8350 but you could go Intel with a 2500K older cpu and run a heck of a lot cooler overall. For sure a LOT cooler than an FX-8350.
RGone...

IF I lived in a location without air conditioning for home use, then I certainly would never go FX-8350. For the work and that is real work not gaming, you would do well with the FX-8350 but you could go Intel with a 2500K older cpu and run a heck of a lot cooler overall. For sure a LOT cooler than an FX-8350.
RGone...
Ditto!

Fx 8350 chips generate ridiculous amount's of heat at stock settings, lets not even talk about what they do when overclocked. I also own a I5-2500k and it really is a good chip, even if it's 3 generations old. It will run @ 4.7 all day long on Air cooling and take anything you can throw at it.

For an upgrade im planing to use Asus sabertooth MB with that CPU, add watercooling like h90 or 100 and additional side fan for even more cooling. That would help a lot wouldnt it?
ANyways 2500k is hard to get in here and its almost as expensive as i5 4th gen. Its like 30 $ difference between those 2. 2500k is 850 PLN (272$) and i5 4670k is 960 (307$)

Temps went down a lot during the weekend. But my socket temps are still high, i think my MB is slowly dying as i have some USB issues aswell.

CHeers for Your answers :) Have a good day even thou its monday

I'm pretty positive it's normal to have a 10c difference between CPU & socket temps.
In my experience:
A Fx Cpu with a fan mounted on the backside of the motherboard will run about 10c higher Cpu/socket temp then the package/core temp.

A Fx Cpu without a fan mounted on the backside can run as high as 20c higher Cpu/socket temps then the package temps.

A Phenom II Cpu the Cpu/ Socket temps will generally be lower then the cores. I haven't done much testing on my Phenom II to see how much a backside fan changed the socket temps.

For an upgrade im planing to use Asus sabertooth MB with that CPU, add watercooling like h90 or 100 and additional side fan for even more cooling. That would help a lot wouldnt it?
ANyways 2500k is hard to get in here and its almost as expensive as i5 4th gen. Its like 30 $ difference between those 2. 2500k is 850 PLN (272$) and i5 4670k is 960 (307$)

Temps went down a lot during the weekend. But my socket temps are still high, i think my MB is slowly dying as i have some USB issues aswell.

CHeers for Your answers :) Have a good day even thou its monday
Trooph, a Sabertooth is a nice board, though if you are planning on sticking with the 965. There are less expensive boards that will be able to overclock that 965 just fine. If you are planning on adding a Fx chip down the road then the Sabertooth is a good choice, though I believe there are issues with the R.3.0 boards, if I'm not mistaken.

Furthermore, as far as cooling goes the H90/H100 are good for the 965 but don't plan on overclocking something like a Fx-8350 to the extremes on one. You can probably run a 8350 at 4.5/6 24/7 on a H100. then again with your ambient temps you may not even get that far on one. I feel the Swiftech H220 may be a better choice, though I don't know if they are available where you live.

Back