• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help me shrink my partition please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Need to shrink my main partition down to under 447Gb for this SSD I bought...

Currently sitting at 474Gb, but I can't shrink any further due to this:

Code:
A volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume (C:). This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes.

Diagnostic details:
 - The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Secure::$ATTRIBUTE_LIST
 - The last cluster of the file is: 0x76b6c63
 - Shrink potential target (LCN address): 0x209a5e0
 - The NTFS file flags are: -S--S
 - Shrink phase: <analysis>

To find more details about this file please use the "fsutil volume querycluster \\?\Volume{eb6da3d9-b249-11e5-b294-806e6f6e6963} 0x76b6c63" command.
I understand this is because the MFT was full at one point, resulting in this files creation. Any way to move it? Any service I can disable to shrink further?
I've defraged many times, deleted all my restore points... Not sure what else I can do?

I'm weary about using 3rd party tools in case they destroy data inadvertently or render the OS unusable, but I am willing to try of course :)
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

trents

Would file/disk compression help? Windows has that built in if you turn it on. Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup I believe.

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

Would file/disk compression help? Windows has that built in if you turn it on. Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup I believe.
It did help. got me another 3Gb or so. BUT it also broke Windows update! Apparently C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution CANNOT be compressed. I found this out from the event viewer with an error about a file Windows update uses being compressed, and the file cannot be used until it is uncompressed.

This:

wuaueng.dll (744) SUS20ClientDataStore: An attempt to open the compressed file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" for read / write access failed because it could not be converted to a normal file. The open file operation will fail with error -4005 (0xfffff05b). To prevent this error in the future you can manually decompress the file and change the compression state of the containing folder to uncompressed. Writing to this file when it is compressed is not supported.

In the end, I just ran AOMEI Partition Assistant as it seemed to be like by a few users. It gave me an error at the end saying it can;t assign a drive letter but all was fine when I rebooted.

Currently cloning the partitions with Macrium Reflect.

Last edited:

Dlaw

Need to shrink my main partition down to under 447Gb for this SSD I bought...

I've defraged many times...

Eek. Defragging an SSD is a bad idea, and it doesn't work anyway due to the way SSDs work. After cloning, you should consider running a secure erase on the drive. It won't fix the damage that may have been done by the writes during defragging, but it may restore the performance I'm sure you lost due to them.

As far as partitioning is concerned, I usually use GParted that comes with many Linux distros (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, System Rescue CD, etc.). I've been using it for years, and haven't lost any data because of it.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Eek. Defragging an SSD is a bad idea, and it doesn't work anyway due to the way SSDs work. After cloning, you should consider running a secure erase on the drive. It won't fix the damage that may have been done by the writes during defragging, but it may restore the performance I'm sure you lost due to them.

As far as partitioning is concerned, I usually use GParted that comes with many Linux distros (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, System Rescue CD, etc.). I've been using it for years, and haven't lost any data because of it.

I believe he is defragging a spinning disk in order to make enough space to move the OS to an SSD

OP
Silver_Pharaoh

Silver_Pharaoh

Restore preformance with a secure erase?
I thought a secure erase was just for scrubbing a drive before disposing it?
I believe he is defragging a spinning disk in order to make enough space to move the OS to an SSD

Indeed! I was talking about the spinner ;)