• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me Understand what I want to do... VPN Talk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

Need a little help understanding what and why i want to do.

The basic Gist of it is i want my computer to look like this when i log on to and click the network button:
overveiw.jpg

Now im pretty good at home networking, port forwarding and things like that. But I have never really set up a VPN (Which I am assuming is what i want). Now i have a non static IP address at my home and the destination that i want to talk to doesn't have one either. I am a bit of an ubiquiti fan boy and my house is set up with a USG, and a few Ubiqiti switches. The site that i want to connect to is my parents house and i want to network them together.

I understand the typically there is a VPN server and a VPN client. I want this network to go both ways. I want to be able to look at their files, Remote into their desktops for troubleshooting etc. and i want them to look at my pictures of kids and such. I was hoping maybe i can make it hardware driven so i wouldnt have to put a software VPN on computers, and i think this is possible but im not sure.

Right now this is how the network would look and i dont know if it is possible to make a VPN service like this:
vpn2.jpg
I know this is a fairly simplistic drawing, but im hoping you can see where im going with this.

I do know the USG can do a site to site VPN which i assume would look like:
vpn.jpg
I think this would make a hardware vpn site to site, but im not sure.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Ive been on Youtube All day trying to figure this out.

Railgun

Personally I’d opt for #2. Leave the routing and security functions to devices built for it.

And that’s pretty much a very simple but accurate drawing of what you’d build.

I too too have a bunch of Ubiquiti gear at home and may be doing something similar with family back stateside.

OP
TransformedBG

TransformedBG

Personally I’d opt for #2. Leave the routing and security functions to devices built for it.

And that’s pretty much a very simple but accurate drawing of what you’d build.

I too too have a bunch of Ubiquiti gear at home and may be doing something similar with family back stateside.
But i am right in saying that if i had 2 USG's that i wouldnt have to input the VPN in the VPN setup in windows 10 right? it should be hardware based

Railgun

That's right. In this case, using a site-to-site VPN, your folks' place is just another network you can talk to.

Now, that said, and I'm not a WINS guru, but there are a couple of additional things you need to setup for the PCs to see each other as though they were on the same local network as by default, they won't on a site-to-site. The advantage of this VPN however is that it enables other things to be possible...shared NAS for example or other non-PC specific devices.

What you CAN do however, is either map a network drive to the PC in question using the IP address, though for convenience, you probably want to setup WINS appropriately. Someone better experienced that I in that arena should answer. IIRC there needs to be some central server, and I don't know if one of those PCs can take that role.

OP
TransformedBG

TransformedBG

That's right. In this case, using a site-to-site VPN, your folks' place is just another network you can talk to.

Now, that said, and I'm not a WINS guru, but there are a couple of additional things you need to setup for the PCs to see each other as though they were on the same local network as by default, they won't on a site-to-site. The advantage of this VPN however is that it enables other things to be possible...shared NAS for example or other non-PC specific devices.

What you CAN do however, is either map a network drive to the PC in question using the IP address, though for convenience, you probably want to setup WINS appropriately. Someone better experienced that I in that arena should answer. IIRC there needs to be some central server, and I don't know if one of those PCs can take that role.

That what i was thinking. Now the only thing im trying to figure out is the cloud key part of it. IM assuming that since i have it set up on my network, i should be able to just log in to my cloud key from their house and set it up there under a different site.

Railgun

Yep. Just setup another site and add the relevant components. Should be just as easy as setting up the first site.