• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me wipe out my hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobluo

i want to reformat my hard drive. i heard that there's a simply way to completely delete everything on my hard drive and then load and O/S afterwards. i dont want to do a quick-restore either. and i dont know exactly how to wipe out my hard drive because i know you have to then type in codes to run the .exe program ( i guess ms dos or similar) im new to this so bear with me.

i have a disk (CD) with two folders in it. One folder has the WIN98.exe and the other folder has win98.exe upgrade. i want to run the win98 full version after i clear the hard drive.

so if anyone has a slight idea of what im talking about, help me. if im not making sense tell me too and i'll edit
:burn:

dude2

Go into your BIOS and make your cd-rom drive your 1st bootable device. Insert the win98 full cd and resart your machine. It should boot from the win98 cd and go into the setup, here it will give you the option to format, once you go ahead with that it will then move on to installing win98 for you.

OP
N

nobluo

6. ABSOLUTLY no posting of Warez (Pirated Software), Cracks or links to Warez or Cracks sites. All such sites are illegal and pose a threat to our continued existence. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Buy a copy of win98. We are here to help if you have a legitimate copy of Windows. Discussion of warez (such as this deleted post) is against forum policies (see paragraph above).

cw823
Forum Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
you should post that part under WAREZ

as far as formating
just get you self a floopy disk make it a start up and vola you got it

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Should there be any doubt or question, the quickest and easiest way to do a win98 install is:

1) Boot from win98 CD, w/ CD support
2) At D:\win98 (assuming D is your CD-ROM), type format C: /q That will perform a quick format of the drive (WARNING. Anything on the drive will be GONE).
3) After format, go to C:prompt ( C:\ ) type md cabs (this will make a directory (md) in your C:\ called cabs.
4) back to D:\win98 prompt, and type copy *.* C:\cabs
5) back to C:\ prompt. Type cd cabs then, setup.exe

This will keep Windows from asking for a CD everytime you change something thereafter. Anyone changing network protocols on a win98 machine hates putting in the win98 CD every time.

ONLY! with a liscensed version of win98

badgers

nobluo said:
6. ABSOLUTLY no posting of Warez (Pirated Software), Cracks or links to Warez or Cracks sites. All such sites are illegal and pose a threat to our continued existence. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Buy a copy of win98. We are here to help if you have a legitimate copy of Windows. Discussion of warez (such as this deleted post) is against forum policies (see paragraph above).

cw823
Forum Moderator

was something deleted from the posts that I don't see now?

what is wrong with installing off of a CD.

It is NOT a problem to copy a Win98 CD. You can buy a COA and licence number from many web sites. They mail you the licence number and the COA and that is all in a white envelope. it does NOT violate the license to use copied install media.

We use copied Win2K install disks to set up items in our office all the time. We burn the Service packs and some Motherboard drivers on the disk as well.

http://www.9software.com/shopexd.asp?id=190

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
badgers said:

was something deleted from the posts that I don't see now?

what is wrong with installing off of a CD.

It is NOT a problem to copy a Win98 CD. You can buy a COA and licence number from many web sites. They mail you the licence number and the COA and that is all in a white envelope. it does NOT violate the license to use copied install media.

We use copied Win2K install disks to set up items in our office all the time. We burn the Service packs and some Motherboard drivers on the disk as well.

http://www.9software.com/shopexd.asp?id=190

I deleted a warez post. That was the whole point. Very few users here are going to use a burned CD and actually obtain another user liscense from Microsoft. The original post described his win98 Cd as a CD-R with a win98 folder on it.