• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me with my first computer? Is all this compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

w00t

Registered
item price where
CPU P4 2.4 CGHz 800fsb HT $172 www.newegg.com

Motherboard Asus P4P800 deluxe $139 www.newegg.com

Memory Corsair 512mb PC3200 DDR $109 www.outpost.com

Video Card Geforce 4 ti4200 $
Sound Card

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz $40 www.Newegg.com

Hard Drive WD 160GB 8mb 7200rpm SE $99 CompUSA

Optical Drive ??? $

Case Lian-Li 6035 usb $131 www.pc-beyond.com

Power Supply ???

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4P800 Deluxe Retail
Specifications:
Supported CPU:p478 Pentium 4 / Celeron HT
Chipset: Springdale 865PE + ICH5R
FSB:800/533/400 MHz
RAM:2 Channel DDR400/333/266 Support Max 4GB
IDE:Dual Ultra DMA ATA100/66 up to 4 Devices
RAID: Dual Channel 133/100/66/33 up to 4 Devices and SATA
Slots:1x AGP (8X/4X) 5x PCI
Ports:2xPS2, 1xCOM,1xLPT,1x Audio, 1xLAN,2x IEEE, 8xUSB20
Onboard Audio:AD 1985 6 Channel Codec
Onboard LAN:3COM Gigabit LAN 1000/100/10 802.11b
Onboard SATA: Dual Channel Serial ATA up to 150MBs
Onboard Firewire: 2 1394 Firewire ports
built-in Intel PAT (Intel Performance Acceleration Technology) It helps to boost performance by 3~5%. More... Model#: P4P800 DELUXE the Power of Hyper Path.. Asus Exclusive

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU: 2.4GHz
Type: Pentium 4 Northwood
Cache: 512K
BUS: 800 Mhz
Socket: 478
Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)
3-year MFG. Warranty- Model#: BX80532PG2400D Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

^- are these (the asus mobo and the intel p4 northwood) compatible?? I was just wondering because on the mobo it says springdale 865PE + ICH5R and the processor says northwood…noob….

-does my mobo support HT for P4??

Please recommend

- a good psu under $50 …
-and the cheapest 2 sheep cdrw drive that’s good quality

plz help ty.

Fallen Phoenix

Looks like a good setup, I'm probably gonna get the 2.4gig P4C myself soon, just with a different motherboard. For an optical drive, if you don't mind spending a little more cash, Plextor makes great drives and they don't make a ton of noise like some. Fortron makes good power supplies, I'd get something with around 400 Watts. If you plan on overclocking, a good power supply is a must.

You might want to take a look in the video card section on the forum and read about some of ATI's video cards. I was looking at the ti4200 for a while, now I think I'm going with a Radeon 9700np.

Good luck with the new system and let us know how it overclocks, you know you wanna ;)

Deathknight

For a PSU I think you can't go wrong with a Fortron 350W. The 350W is a very conservative rating of their power output and they are built like a sherman tank.

As for a cdrw I have used alot of Lite-Ons recently and they are a pretty decent quality, a good bang for the buck in my book. Plextors are real nice but a bit more expensive.

OP
W

w00t

Registered
heh, as for the vid card thing, im actually going to use a gforce 4 ti4600 but i have a problem... The reason im building this computer is bc im tired of my parents bothering me while im on so im going to put this one in my room... In my parents computer there is a ti4600 but they dont want me to have it... well to bad im going to take it anyway bc they dont play any games of it, they wouldn't even notice the diff if i replaced it with a cheaper nvidia card. (right?)

so everything on my setup looks good?

plz answer the questions on the bottom of my first post somebody

ty

OP
W

w00t

Registered
heh, as for the vid card thing, im actually going to use a gforce 4 ti4600 but i have a problem... The reason im building this computer is bc im tired of my parents bothering me while im on so im going to put this one in my room... In my parents computer there is a ti4600 but they dont want me to have it... well to bad im going to take it anyway bc they dont play any games of it, they wouldn't even notice the diff if i replaced it with a cheaper nvidia card. (right?)

so everything on my setup looks good?

plz answer the questions on the bottom of my first post somebody

ty

Fallen Phoenix

^- are these (the asus mobo and the intel p4 northwood) compatible?? I was just wondering because on the mobo it says springdale 865PE + ICH5R and the processor says northwood…noob….
Yes they are compatible, Northwood is the name for the core in the Intel CPU as opposed to a Celeron or Willimate.

-does my mobo support HT for P4??
Hyper Threading is a part of the CPU itself, if the motherboard supports an 800mhz fsb Pentium4 (your's does) then it will support the new Hyper Threading technology.

- a good psu under $50 …
Fortron power supplies
I'd get the "Fortron FSP350-60PN Aurora Series 350W ATX12V Power Supply with 120mm LED Fan - Retail"

-and the cheapest 2 sheep cdrw drive that’s good quality
Lite On CD-RW
Lite-on seems to be a decent drive like Deathknight said and you would be hard pressed to beat that price. I wouldn't go with generic CD-RWs as you'll have a loud drive that would probably die within a year or so, generally speaking.

OP
W

w00t

Registered
what about these psu's? there only 50w less and about half the price...

Fortron - P300XF 300W Power Supply Retail - $25
Specifications
Feature: Noise Killer, Ultra Quiet
Power Supply Type: ATX
Max Power: 300W @ 70% output, Peak at 390W
Dimensions: 5 7/8" x 5 1/2" x 3 3/8"
Fan(s): 1-80mm Ball Bearing Fan

Fortron - P300XFPN 300W Power Supply RET - $27
Specifications
Feature: Noise Killer, Ultra Quiet, Air flow of 57 CFM with only 25 dB and below.
Power Supply Type: ATX
Max Power: 300W @ 70% output, Peak at 380W
Dimensions: 5 7/8" x 5 1/2" x 3 3/8"
Fan(s): 1-120mm Ball Bearing Fan

Sparkle 300w- $22

However, would i be pushing the 300w size with my set up??

Fallen Phoenix

300 watts is 'enough' but if you want to overclock or add several case fans 350 watts is more desirable. If you're going to leave everything at stock speed and only have one or two fans in addition to the CPU heatsink then 300 watts is fine.

OP
W

w00t

Registered
hmmm...does the ram have to be the same to use it in dual channel? like could i get one good stick and one cheap and then bust out some dual channel on that?

Im leaving for chinatown right now, (to go buy (w00t) now)...

ill write back tonite.... thanks for the help ppl

ps: Man i rule... parenthesis inside of parenthesis.. :)

gamer004

as for cd-rw drive, i would get a DVD drive instead because of 2 reasons, one you can play gmes just like a cd-rw, but you can also watch dvds, and there about the same price, do i would get a DVD, it runs dvds at 16x and cds as much as 48x