• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me with my HS!!! I made a mistake!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbienerd

I know I am stupid, but stupid people still need help. Recently, I bought a heatsink for my socket 7 mobo. It was a little bigger than expected and would not fit on the CPU because of the side heatsinks (at least that is what I think they are) I decided to screw them off the little chips with three legs (someone please help me with this one and tell me what they are called and what they do) and then physically tore the aluminum sink off the board by detaching the sink from the pegs that they were attached to, since I could not desolder the pegs off the board, the solder would solidify once I took the gun off the peg and tried to vacuum tool it off.. Anyways. I ground off the part that was getting in the way and tried to resolder it back on.

Now, my problem is that it is not heating up the way it should me, and maybe it is just my paranoia, but the other sink seems to now be heating up more than it used to be. How do I fix it?

What are those sinks for anyway and please explain what they do. Do the pegs need to make contact with the aluminum? or is it those three legged things that I screwed off that is the problem. At first, I did not think that what I would be doing would affect it so much. Maybe the pegs are not making contact with the sink...???... I don't know... Anyways... I still need to do a resistance test on it. Meanwhile, my board runs fine, even after accidentally stabbing it with a plier while trying to attach my Socket 7 HS. Please help me and let me know what is or may be going on. I need to know what they do and how they work. Thanks.. I know.. I am a noob... but thanks for all your help!!!

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Not really sure what components you're trying to describe. You have a webcam or digital cam you can take a picture of them with? or possibly borrow one? Another option is to find a pic of your mobo from the manufacturer's site, and post that, circling the components using paint or some other imaging software.

klath

I got lost when you started mentioning side heatsinks and little chips with three legs (which was the beginning :p ). Definitely need pictures.

lakin

Registered
Three legged chip with a heatsink near the cpu... sounds like a voltage regulator of some form. You dont want the heatsink touching the pins, that wouldnt be pretty. As long as its not running hot, it shouldnt mind running a bit warmer with a little less heatsink. If you do think they are running too hot though, you could buy some larger (taller) heatsinks for them and just grind out the parts you need to make them fit again.

I found a couple of pics of the type of component i think you mean. The pics are of voltage regulators, but you can get other components in that style. As i said, they shouldnt mind running warm, they often do.

Paul

Attachments

• 10529i0.jpg
    10529i0.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 31737i0.jpg
    31737i0.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 90

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
They are transistors part of the mosfet power system and the cooling sinks you remove will need to be put back on assuming you didn't kill them. You should find a different heat sink for you CPU as well, and you can put the transistor sinks on with thermal epoxy seeing you can't solder.

OP
newbienerd

newbienerd

Umm... they look like the second picture with the black chip and three holes in them. The holes are so I can screw them onto the HS. It seems like they are not heating up. The other two chips get hot though. So is it the black chips that are supposed to get hot? I wasn't sure how the two things worked. I was wondering if it was a sensor or something. So what exactly are they? What does it mean when they are not working? My mobo seems to be working properly without the other two.. There are four of them.. It is in AT F factor. and so the one set of two is on one side of the cpu socket and the other set of two is on the other side and forms a 90 deg angle. Anyways, thanks for the help. Now I have a better idea of what I may be dealing with.

OP
newbienerd

newbienerd

Okay here is how it looks like....

Chips.bmp

And also...

ChipsClose.bmp

Hope this helps identify my problem.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
Hate to quote myself but:
Stedeman said:
They are transistors part of the mosfet power system and the cooling sinks you remove will need to be put back on assuming you didn't kill them. You should find a different heat sink for you CPU as well, and you can put the transistor sinks on with thermal epoxy seeing you can't solder.
The MOSFET power regulation circuit controls the power to the CPU, the sinks are there for good reason. The better the temperature the better the control of the voltage to your CPU. And much like the cooling of the CPU the better it is the better your system is (with in reason, that is)!

OP
newbienerd

newbienerd

But it seems that two of the chips are not working... no heat.. and yet.. the motherboard works just fine.. WHY or HOW is that??? There are four like on the drawings.. two on one side and two on the other. But only two are working... I'm confused. How critical of a regulation job is it that they do for two chips to not function properly and only have two that are???

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I can't answer that because I don't know the way it is configured to work. It could just be the incoming power for that part of the circuit is cleaner but that could change depending on the incoming 120V and whether you condition your line. Bottom line is still the same, your taking a big chance by removing their cooling.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Do they look something like these?

mosfets.jpg

If they do, those are MOSFET's like Stedeman, mentioned. You NEED to have them functioning properly otherwise you risk burning out some of your system's components.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
If you can't get a pic of it could you tell us the model # and maker of the mother board, also the name of the heat sink your using.

OP
newbienerd

newbienerd

It's just a regular old socket 7 motherboard and it does not look like the pic. they stand up like the pic i drew. The chips are attached to the side of the HS. It is just a regular HS. made of aluminum with no fan. I have it on my compaq also, but there is only one. They all stand on three legs. Mosfets seem to have missing middle leg.

OP
newbienerd

newbienerd

Also, the heatsinks are back on all of them. I never really removed them, just ground off the part that was getting in the way. I didn't want to do metal work on the mobo. I already poked it with a pair of pliers. Takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

Como

those are mofsets, i know they are. i have lots of experiance with those older boards :)

Well, it may be possibly that the ones that arent hot are 5V ones, but its also possible those four were set up to work so that if one pair dies the others would take the load.
Or maybe just you kileld one and the others are trying to pick up the slack, and may blow.
However, i know todays mofsets are good up to like 75 C, i've heard of peoples at 80C. i kow mine get quite hot when i crank my coltage up, but i dont have heatsinks on them.

If its working fine, i say not worry about it. old boards like that are relatively cheap to replace.
is that a p1 board? looks like an AT p166 to me. maye even a 133.