• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me With My Piece Of Crap Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doofie27cp2

Banned
ok this is really starting to **** me off. I cant take this anymore. i need answers. I am running a intel pentium 4 2.0a ghz, aopen ax4tII, 256 mb pc 800 rdram, 500 watt compusa powersupply, more cooling than ill ver need, and geforce 2 mx400. THIS POS COMPUTER REBOOTS ALL THE TIME. Its not overclocked at all, it gets me soo goddamn angry. I was downloading my update for cs today, 116 mb, and it rebooted in the time i let it download. The estimated time? 57 minutes. when i left the computer it was at 15 %. I come back, and the POS IS REBOOTED. Now im downloading it again, and i swear fi it does it this time im taking a goddakmn sledge hmmer to it and beating the holy hell out of it. WHAT IS WRONMG WITH THIS THING. Its not overclocked, temps are 26 degrees celcius idle, 32 max at load. ITs not a temp thing. AHH it used to only do it when i played one game. now it does it while i browse the web, read email, anything. I swear the has to be the ****tiest ****ing processer ever. itsl ike it load like 2 kilobytes of data and shut down. AHHHH DAMNIT

OP
Doofie27cp2

Doofie27cp2

Banned
im sure yo ucan understand my fustration. I have a 12 inch cold cathode gree neon light, 5 case fanse. and the nlike cdrw, dvd rom, and thats it
it really fustrates me, i wonder if i should turn off the neon light, it is on all the time, and that could be the problem, could it not?

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
If a lot of extra stuff is pulling power, then yes it could be the problem. I'd pull everything except mobo, HDD, and a CD drive and see if that's it. If everything runs OK for awhile, then just add something until it goes belly up. You'd think a 500W PSU could handle all that, but a PSU problem with random reboots would be my first guess.

alpha_gamer

i wouldn't say it's a power consumption problem, have you ever taken a look as the ps itself? i had an old ps that restarted once in a while like that, or it would not turn on at all, i bought a new enermax one and it works like a charm. and have you tried reformating your system? a clean install solves alot of problems.

and check out this comic, it's about compusa

true story!

6502kid

or, try another video card. Perhaps the one you got is
on the verge of dying and causing the problem.

I know overclocking a video card too far can cause reboots
during games and whatnot...

OP
Doofie27cp2

Doofie27cp2

Banned
yeah it is overclocked, the video card. thanks for al lthe suggestions, i think im going to try a new ps, because i did have problems before with a compusa 250 watt ps. Thank guys

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
quickest way to solve that baby is underclocking ur cpu
and letting it run for a couple days
i'll bet u ur rig against mine it will be stable :)
what do u think i'm trying to say ...
:rolleyes:
:p

alpha_gamer

just try changing the ps or reformatting, i'd go for the reformat first though, alot cheaper and there are hardly any computers that don't need a reformat. and don't forget to backup your important files, i lost all of my beloved elisha cuthbert pics last time i reformatted!

alpha_gamer

nice save man, lol. i have learned one valuable lesson from internet, uh... media

this is a conversation i had with my mom.

mom: "so, i heard about these cookie things that get stored in computers, i looked at them in our computer"

me: thinking: oh my god! i am so busted! what's the quickest way of killing myself?...

mom "and i saw we didn't have any"

me: thinking: yessss! booyah! i am t3h man! "yeah, i clean them out all the time"

mom: "oh, ok"

moral of the story: never ever leave your cookies uncleaned!

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
ur saying u can't do it on ur mobo?
my brother got the p42.6 an had to run it around 2g to be stable
i just got a antec true430 psu and another 400w for my duron 1.3
it's been a month now that i haven't rebooted or had a lock up
i shi* u not!
Comming form a A+, MCP tech trust me the power supply is the most overlooked component in PC's today , ever since we broke the 1ghz barrier psu's are more important then ever
i suggest u get a BRAND NAME borroed (antec,enermax.Tt,Vantec) 350w from someone and try it
just 350w ;) it will work fine
there is a good article on www.tomshardware.com about mistagged psu's that show specs like 400w 500w and are worst then a 300 brand name ps
i'm not saying ur ps isn't strong\powerfull it is , it boots up doesn't it.
the question is , is it stable
There are 2 ways a PS can die , the easy way and the hard way
easy way is they just die .
the hard way is ramdom lockup's ,reboots which are the worst problem on a pc today to troubleshoot cause ur always thinking maybe it was thss app , driver , prog.....
i'm sure u'll think of something
i'll NEVER buy a cheap PS ever again!
check this ! i had a 350 no name ps on my duron 1.3 it was hell!
the night both my psu's died on me (still wondering...) i adapted to survive with a 235w Aopen psu and until i got my new 1's shipped and delivered not even 1 lock up (1week) against 1 lock up a day sometimes 3 a week

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
if u noticed the "wild" guesses on ur thread u know i'm not making this up
it went from reformatting to videocard to leds to , to many components consuming power , etc
doesn't it lead all to 1 place ;)
peace!

alpha_gamer

just remember, when dealing with psu's, don't stick your fingers in 'em, i learned that the hard way, why i had my comp still on when i was working on it we'll never know

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
stuff A+ certified techs don't mess with
1 Psu's inside
2 Monitors inside
3 Just replace the dam things :D
power supplys are recommended for a reason ;)
not by the sticker on them but @ the www.amd\intel.com's :)
:p