• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeadPool

Disabled
Ok i'm goin to install my new ak32l motherboard on the comp. It says some file is currupt when i have to boot up. No big deal i'll make some boot up disks on the other comp and reformatt. So I have to take the floppy and cd-rom off the newer rig and put them on this one so i can make the disks. The cd-rom registers fine, but the floppy doesn't come up at all. The light on the front jsut stays light. I dunno why it won't read it. Any input?

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
Ok i'm goin to install my new ak32l motherboard on the comp. It says some file is currupt when i have to boot up. No big deal i'll make some boot up disks on the other comp and reformatt. So I have to take the floppy and cd-rom off the newer rig and put them on this one so i can make the disks. The cd-rom registers fine, but the floppy doesn't come up at all. The light on the front jsut stays light. I dunno why it won't read it. Any input? /QUOTE]

Yep, take the connector off the floppy, flip it around 180 degrees and plug her back in. :)

OP
DeadPool

DeadPool

Disabled
it's connected righ.... i inspected the connction on the rippon where it connects the the floppy. It had a bent "rod" you could say i dont' know the exact term for it. i bent it back but it still dont' work. Being my damn luck i always screw crap up. It's just so damn frustrating. See if i can borrow a friends floppy to make the disks now. Gotta explain to my mom what happened to this one and get some money to get a new floppy.

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
it's connected righ.... i inspected the connction on the rippon where it connects the the floppy. It had a bent "rod" you could say i dont' know the exact term for it. i bent it back but it still dont' work. Being my damn luck i always screw crap up. It's just so damn frustrating. See if i can borrow a friends floppy to make the disks now. Gotta explain to my mom what happened to this one and get some money to get a new floppy.

Ok, what about the connector at the motherboard end?

Good thing floppys are cheap, I had to put one back in my main rig to run diags for my HD. Took me 10 minutes to get the thing to format a disk in windows;)

OP
DeadPool

DeadPool

Disabled
I just hope when i go back to the old motherboard all is fine and good. guses i'll see in about 10 mins.... or so

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
I just hope when i go back to the old motherboard all is fine and good. guses i'll see in about 10 mins.... or so

Well, just dont give up too easily.

I reinstalled mine and tried to format a disk, it kept telling me the disk was write protected.

Then I tried to read one and it kept telling me no disk in A, please insert a disk.

I rebooted a couple of times and tried to read a disk, 30 seconds later the window opened showing the contents of the drive.

Been working ok after that.

Go figure:rolleyes:

Good Luck
Al

OP
DeadPool

DeadPool

Disabled
i'm gonna buy a new floppy tomorrow no problem there they're cheap. My new problem is I went back to the old motehrboard b/c i have a tournment in cs tomorrow (sunday) And i wanted to make sure i'd be able to play in it since i'm the co-leader of the clan. Well i put the old motheboard in and plugged everything back in. It made one long beep and shut off. It won't power up any more. I have no clue what i messed up now. I unplugged everything and tried again. nothing...... god my mom is gonna be so ****ed...

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
i'm gonna buy a new floppy tomorrow no problem there they're cheap. My new problem is I went back to the old motehrboard b/c i have a tournment in cs tomorrow (sunday) And i wanted to make sure i'd be able to play in it since i'm the co-leader of the clan. Well i put the old motheboard in and plugged everything back in. It made one long beep and shut off. It won't power up any more. I have no clue what i messed up now. I unplugged everything and tried again. nothing...... god my mom is gonna be so ****ed...

Maybe the MB is grounded on the case somewhere?
Pull it out , plop it on some cardboard and try to run it again.

OP
DeadPool

DeadPool

Disabled
ok i got confused somewhere along the line... on the mb is has the connection to the motherboard, for power on, off and lights on the front. it has hdd led. str led. pwrbt. reset. speaker. powerled. obviously i connect speaker to speaker ect.... i got some connectors labeled power sw (which doesn't have a place in mb hand book) sleep led, reset sw, and power sw. Where do i conenct the last few i mentioned???

oops forgot to mention i put it on a peice of plastic and it did nothign again...

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
ok i got confused somewhere along the line... on the mb is has the connection to the motherboard, for power on, off and lights on the front. it has hdd led. str led. pwrbt. reset. speaker. powerled. obviously i connect speaker to speaker ect.... i got some connectors labeled power sw (which doesn't have a place in mb hand book) sleep led, reset sw, and power sw. Where do i conenct the last few i mentioned???

oops forgot to mention i put it on a peice of plastic and it did nothign again...

Thats confusing:)

2 are marked power sw?

Post a clear list of connectors and the leads you have.
Maybe reset the bios while you have the manual to sow you how.

OP
DeadPool

DeadPool

Disabled
ok i got it working. it powers up with a long beep then shuts off now what? the monitor doesn't light up or any thing. soon as i hti the power it has the beep goni for bout 2 secs then powers off on it's own

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
ok i got it working. it powers up with a long beep then shuts off now what?

Ok, try reseating the Heatsink.
Clear the cmos by shorting the jumper
Reseat the ram
Reseat the video card.

Dont hook up any other cards or drives at first.

See what happens.

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
shorting the jumper ??? only one i don't knwo how todo...

You have the manual, right.

Look for a battery on the MB (small silver disk) the jumper should be located around there. (double check the manual for resetting bios). Once you find it, take a screwdriver or knife and short the 2 pins for about 5 secs.

OP
DeadPool

DeadPool

Disabled
i foudn out what was wrong lol stupid me. the cpu fan was in teh wrong slot for power. the mb thought it didn't have a cpu fand and didnt' want to fry it.... so now to my next problem. I start the rig and it's a black screen. nothign comes up...

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
i foudn out what was wrong lol stupid me. the cpu fan was in teh wrong slot for power. the mb thought it didn't have a cpu fand and didnt' want to fry it.... so now to my next problem. I start the rig and it's a black screen. nothign comes up...

Reseat video card. reset bios

OP
DeadPool

DeadPool

Disabled
again i'm stupid..... how do i go about doin this. I think it's taking the lil battery out and unpluggin all power for a lil bit then pluggin back in correct?

Maximouse

DeadPool said:
again i'm stupid..... how do i go about doin this. I think it's taking the lil battery out and unpluggin all power for a lil bit then pluggin back in correct?

NOT stupid! :)

Nothing in the manual about jumper pins for clearing cmos?
Try the battery trick if you cant find the pins.