• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uprisingchuns

okay this is what i have

msi kt3 ultra2 mb
amd xp2100
samsung 256mb ddr 2700 pc333 ram
2 intake fans 1 exhaust fan, new heatsink on the way
300watt power supply i think
80gig ibm 72000rpm hardrive

this is the problem... i'm a newb to overclocking and i need like exact details on how to overclock..... i know how to change the fsb and thats about it... if u ask me to change the voltage i get lost.. and to run in hl?? something im lost too..... the highest i got me fsb too was 138 and anything after that i get some error message... so some kind hearted person help me out. plz...........

Tiger

What you are asking for is impossible to give in a short description. Have a look at the guides off the front page and there is also info under the AMD processors section.
Basically your enemy is heat. If you can keep your system cool then you are half way there. The vcore voltage is increased when the system starts to become unstable. There are two approaches increase the voltage when the system becomes unstable or go straight to max and carry on increasing the fsb until it becomes unstable. The latter requires really good cooling.
Be aware that if you get too high the system may crash and you must know how to reset the bios and get out of trouble and secondly your data could be totally corrupted and therefore make sure you have recent backups at all times.

none1

1) Hmmm. The 2100 default is FSB = 133 *13 = 1730. Upping your FSB to 138 should put you at only 1794, and that should not be hard for your chip.

In other words, I am surprised you can't easily get to FSB = 140. Can you tell us what error you get? Also post your video card.

2) Do you have a bunch of other cards in the mobo? Sound, firewire, etc. etc.? If so, take them out, leave just video for now, then see if FSB will go higher.

3) It could be just your chip won't go faster. (but I think it should) If its the proc, the next step would be to increase the CPU VOLTAGE. WARNING WARNING incresing voltage could incresase the heat an blow up your CPU. You have been warned. :)
I don't have the KT3. BUT, in both my KT4V and my K7D there is an option in the bios called FREQUENCY / VOLTAGE control. You can change the CPU voltage there.

4) Make sure to read THIS
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113773

You can also go to the CPU database from the ocing home page, to see what common voltages and speeds others are getting from similar chips.

Good luck!

OP
U

uprisingchuns

thx for all the info guys.. and if u can just go to my other post in some other section i forgot where.... but help me answer some of my fan positioning questions.. thx

Mulli

Registered
Don't forget the memory settings! I blew up 4 or 5 boards because of that, I think? This saved my A! from blowing up another mobo, Thanks Tiger! :D

Tiger, I quote :

I suggest setting up your bios as per the guides here .
You can kill a mobo by doing certain things to it or something fails and it dies. A dead mobo is dead and there is no resurrection. If settings are used that either the RAM or CPU cannot handle the system will just fail to post. Its not dead and is not damaged. This situation has very little to do with the mobo, it's the cpu or RAM that cannot handle this.
An example is that you are trying to get memory to work at 150 - analyse what is going on here - you are probably using HCLK+33 so the mem is trying to run 150/183 (300/366 DDR). This is high speed stuff and without really special mem modules you are not going to achieve it. Most are lucky to get 145. If you want to go high speed mem then change your mem settings to HCLK.