• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbaerg

Registered
Help me guys,
I was updating a system today and here's what happened. I was moving my cpu, ram, blah blah blah over to a new nf7-s from a kx7-333r. Anyway, i was looking at my radeon 9700 pro and I was checking out the hs/fan. I though that maybe I should take the shim off for better cooling. So I start poking around with my needle nose pliers to take off the little attaching pins that hold the hs in place. I didn't slip or anything (I don't think), but now any time I start managing multiple windows at a time, my screen freezes up and VPU recover kicks in. I am working on a fresh install, so I am not sure if this only happened when I installed the 3.10 cats or if I screwed something up. PLEASE help me so I don't have to buy another 97pro.

Tom

itshondo

you might try to reseat the card in the agp slot (power off) and then restarting the computer. Also, you might want to go through the bios with the manual and make sure tha settings are correct.

Is the gpu heatsink firmly attached to the card?

Did you reapply thermal compound before you reinstalled the heatsink?

Let us know...

OP
T

tbaerg

Registered
I never took the HS off the board. All I did was take out the screws, and then put them back in once I had changed my mind. I have since installed DX9.b and things have been behaving themselves so far. I am running everything at stock right and don't plan on overclocking. I just finished installing HALO so I'll give it a little work out and let you know how it goes.

Tom

OP
T

tbaerg

Registered
all right here's the scoop. I took this card out and put in my 9800 from another rig and I'm still having the problem. I just got this board RMA'd back to me from GameVE. It seems to be a problem with the AGP slot. Could it be that I'm just not the seating card properly in the slot? I'd seriously love the not have to send this one back as well, but what else can I do?

CrashOveride

It could be, re-try it and make sure it's in there all the way... if you have it in and it still doesn't work you may have to send it back :/