• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, Mini Lan, Router, Need Individual IP's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
Hey all, need some help.

I have a Linksys BEFSX41 router. it also says it is a switch.

I have 4 comps hooked up to it. I went a to this IP finder thing, and we all have the same IP. we wanted to all play on one server for some online gaming but i dont know how that is going to work.

is there any way to give each computer a seperate IP address???

-------------------------------------------

also, all of the computers here but my brothers run XP. he is running ME, and this is his first time using a network/cable, he normally runs 56k.

he hooked a NIC up, and plugged into the router. he gets internet fine, but is capped at 59KBPS while everyone else is getting 1.5mbps.

is there any way to fix that? i think it has something to do when he tried to max out his 56k.

any help would be great, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Titan386

Its normal for all the systems behind a broadband router to have the same IP address, as that is the purpose of that device. In my experience, playing online games, even if multiple systems behind the router are participating, is not a problem. I suggest you try it out and see if it gives any trouble.

Generally, your ISP will give you one IP address. Sometimes you can pay for additional ones, but I would defintely make sure that it is necessary in your case before buying anything, which it might not be.

You might want to note that the computers do have a seperate IP address, but it is an internal IP (probably begins with 192.168.*.*). The router's NAT essentially hides all the systems behind one external IP, so from the outside, it appears the IP of the machines is the same. It is the job of the router to ensure that the packets goto the proper internal IP.

The low download speeds of one computer may well be a software issue, but just in case, try checking the cable. Sometimes bad cable can cause poor performance, or other weird things.

Kendan

Senior Punk
Try it and see if it works first. The IP you are getting is your outside IP. to get more IP's from your ISP most probably will cost more money. me and my brother have played WC3 on the same server before with no problems. Good luck:D

OP
Starfoxer

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
thanks guys! i appreciate the help guys. we'll all try it out.

my brother is still getting pretty bad speeds. we will try different cables.

thansk again you blue'rs! ;)

Smokeys

he hooked a NIC up, and plugged into the router. he gets internet fine, but is capped at 59KBPS while everyone else is getting 1.5mbps.

is there any way to fix that? i think it has something to do when he tried to max out his 56k.

Sounds like he did some registry tweaks to improve his modem performance (rwin,mtu size). Have him either return them to defaults or set them for broadband/lan settings.

Also what game are you trying to play?

OP
Starfoxer

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
you are right smokey. he did some registry tweaks.

he was on ME, so he finally justified upgrading to XP which he did. all is well now, and the online gaming is fine.

thanks everyone!