• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help moving windows partition to a new drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ANIMASANA

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could help me out with this. I think it should be simple but I want to make sure I don't miss any important steps.

My Windows partition resides on a 120GB SSD and it full. I want to move it to a 500 GB SSD that I have and make that the primary partition for windows and hopefully still have the 120GB SSD for additional storage likes games and stuff. I have a 1.5 TB platter that I am currently using for files and general storage. I have a lot of games and stuff installed there but there are some Windows programs I would like to have that take up too much space. (Visual studio etc.)

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on what the best way to move my partition over to the new drive is. Can I just plug the drive in and mirror it?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

-Peace

Clone it over there. Plenty of free software out there which will do it. Marcium Reflect for example.

Forgot to mention this is licensed Windows 10 pro v1709 and I have the capacity on my mobo for the extra drive.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Okay I will give that a try. Thank you!

So I formatted the drive as NTFS and I think I want to use macrium to mirror the disk.
Is this correct?
Does it matter what I name the folder I put it in?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

NM i read the instructions...

So, I'm getting this error. Any thoughts on how to get past it? I just clicked clone and I did not choose the XML option. macrium error 0.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, I've ran it a number of times. I had someone suggest putting Ubuntu or something like that onto a boot capable thumb drive and try mirroring it that way.

Any suggestions on that?

All cloning and imaging software that I have used will halt when experiencing a read error. When I encounter this issue I manually back up data and just do a clean install of the OS on a new drive. I will then install apps on the new drive and move data over to it.

So I was able to clone the drive to the new drive that I want to use using clonezilla. What do I need to do to get the machine to boot from this device? It doesn't seem to show up as an option when I look in the UEFI.

I did a partition to partition clone using the default settings.

I could suggest Clonezilla to simply clone the drive. It makes great backups too.
https://www.freelancinggig.com/blog/2017/08/22/use-clonezilla-clone-windows-10/
https://win10faq.com/how-to-clone-windows-10-with-clonezilla/
I'd give it a go. "If your machine comes with uEFI secure boot enabled, you have to use AMD64 version of alternative (Ubuntu-based) Clonezilla live."

Just want to let everyone know this worked. I ran through the steps on the clonezilla site again and this time I think it grabbed the MBR or something and it now recognizes as the drive. I had to extend the partition using some software but that seems to have gotten me to where I want. Thanks for all your help!

Back