• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! My Abit KV8 won't post! Need your suggestions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jagercola

I am normally pretty good with computers and have built like 5-6 but this stumps me. I got a Abit KV8 and A64 2800+ from newegg new. The power supply is new too, it's a Super Flower Silent 550W. I put all those in my new Antec P160 case (no pc speaker) and brought over PC3200 Ram (2x512MB), Radeon 9800, and hard drives from my working computer (I know those parts all work). When the computer is hooked up to the power supply, but off, the motherboard LED shows "02" which isn't in the manual. Then, when I turn the computer on, the powersuppy spins (led's come on), the LED's on the motherboard go through about 5 numbers then stop on "04". "04" isn't in the manual though. No bios post what so ever. Here is what could be going on:

1. CPU is bad
2. Motherboard is bad
3. I have a faulty connection or installed hardware incorrectly

Any suggestions on what to try? Already cleared the cmos. When testing, should the bios post with just a vid card, cpu, and motherboard? (to isolate wat could be wrong).

Thanks for your help, I need it. -Jagercola

EDIT: Here are my mother boards post codes, notice no "02" or "04"
Post Codes

EDIT #2: Tried a different PS, no luck. I think I even tried to get a PC speaker from another case hooked to the motherboard, but didn't hear anything.

Last edited:

Flip-Mode

The board is soposed to post with a CPU, Vid card and Mem.
missing one of those is soposed to get you a beep code, if you don't.....you might have an DOA board.

Jess1313

Is this a mobil CPU or DTR, the 04 code is what I get when I try the mobil CPUS

Do you have the 4pin connector hooked up.

I also had a CDrom drive cause this on one of these boards.

Unhook anything you can do without & try, try just one stick of mem in diff slots.

Also if nothing works try out of case boot with as little hardware as it takes to post.

Last edited:

superamd

I need to contact Silversinksam, I WILL BE BANNED
are your usb headers hooked up? Mine did the same thing until I unplugged them.

superamd

I need to contact Silversinksam, I WILL BE BANNED
I checked the abit forums, 0.4 is a memory error. reseat the memory and see if that helps, try one at a time in different slots.