• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! My CPU has a LIMIT?????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanessab

Hi Guys,

i was looking at Bios Agent and 3dMark05, and both said my cpu Max speed is 3.6ghz

Its a 3.2ghz Prescott p4 640

Does this mean, no matter what I do, that it wont go over 3.6? please guys, because i just purchased about $600 worth of new stuff, and i think i might have done it all for nothing, and that its the cpu that might be limited.

Please look at the screenie below. Is My CPU max 3.6ghz??

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/9289/screenie6hf.jpg

PLEASE TELL ME IT AINT SO, PLEASE TELL ME IT AINT SO !!!​

Sentential

Contributing Member
I dont see how this would come as a suprise given what ive said in your RAM thread. Max speed as per that program is only refering to its maximum non EIST speed, which would be what it would run at 100%.

In your case with a FSB speed of 218 ya, 3.6 is the max... at 218 FSB. Why?Most likely they are recognizing the CPU as a 660 which is a 3.6 stock chip since yours is so close to it in clock speed. The only max you will have is that of the chip's stability point where voltage exceeds the heat load your cooling is capable of handeling (ie 60C max 100% load)

As stated before, if you want 4ghz you need a minimum of 250 on the FSB. Also when overclocking always make sure you have the proper tools: CPUz, Prime95, SuperPI, and the 3dmark series are all good tools for stability testing / diagnostics

Last edited:

Sentential

Contributing Member
As proof/assurances this is what the program says of my 640:

exampledisp.jpg

OP
V

vanessab

WOW, thanks a lot guys.

Sentenial, I appreciate all of your replies. Your knowledge gives me hope :)

Thanks a bunch, now I just have to wait for my power supply, since I don think my antec sp 2.0 450watt can handle my system.

THANKYOU for the re-assurance